+44 (0)1382 381492
I am Professor of Social Work and Senior Associate Dean for Culture and People in the School of Humanities, Social Sciences and Law. I joined the University in 2003, having previously worked as a social worker within youth and adult justice settings.
My teaching, research and impact activity straddles community justice and professional learning, and is grounded in ideas of voice, participation and social justice. Current and recent research projects include co-design work with young adults in conflict with the law, 'user' experiences of justice and longitudinal research into the experiences of early career social workers.
I am active in a number of external advisory and/or consultancy roles. I am also an editorial board member with the British Journal of Social Work.
- Scottish Government, 2018-. Measuring Justice: Defining Concepts, Developing Practice.
- Social Work Scotland, 2018-, Criminal Justice: Exploring gender
- Scottish Social Service Council, 2016-2021. Newly Qualified Social Workers, 5 year research study.
- Social Work Scotland, 2016. What the public think about Scottish social services and why.
- Scottish Universities Insight Insitute, 2015-2016. Creating Spaces for Change Knowledge Exchange project.
- Scottish Social Services Council, 2015-2016. An Integrated Learning Model for Social Work Education.
- Scottish Social Services Council 2015-16. Philosophies of Learning in Social Work Education in Scotland.
- Scottish Social Services Council 2015-16. Should qualifying social work education have a core curriculum?
- Scottish Centre for Criminal Justice Research
- Scottish Government
- Dundee City Council, Justice Services
- Dundee City Council, Children's Services
- Criminal Justice Social Work
- Social Policy & Policy Development
- Research Methods
- Doctoral Supervision
I am available for media commentary on my research.
Contact Corporate Communications for media enquiries.
Areas of expertise
- Social work
Researchers from Education and Society collaborate on a research study
Impact case study
Collaborative approaches to policy implementation for social work education and workforce development.
Social work education and workforce development practice is being transformed across Scotland based on research undertaken by Dr Trish McCulloch in the School of Education and Social Work.