Professor in Child & Adolescent Health
+44 (0)1382 383495
Stephen Greene qualified from University College Hospital Medical School, London and then pursued a career in Paediatrics and Child Health with positions in London (The Middlesex and University College Hospital), Oxford (John Radcliffe Hospital), London (Great Ormond Street), Zurich (The Kinderspital Hospital) and London (Guy’s Hospital), specialising in Paediatric Endocrinology and Diabetes.
Main research and development programmes:
INDIGO (Intensive Diabetes Intervention and Glycaemic Outcome)
- Diabetes Technology (insulin pumps and glucose sensors) and the impact on blood glucose variability and early markers of vascular disease and genetic transcription.
- Glugocentric education programmes in newly diagnosed children with diabetes
Communication and Support of Young People with Type 1 Diabetes:
- mobile Health initiatives - “Sweet Text”, “Digital Diabetes Community”,
- VIG-Diabetes ( Video Interaction Guidance)
Post Graduate Education programmes for Diabetes, with academic accreditation (e.g. ISPAD Diploma in Child and Adolescent Diabetes)
Lectures and conferences
- 2011: Aspects of diabetes in the Young: British Society Paediatric Endocrinology, London
- 2010: Pumps in the young: Insulin Pump Association, Manchester
- 2008 “Outcome of diabetes” British Society Paediatric Endocrinology, Swansea
- 2007 “Insulin pump Therapy Royal College Paediatrics and Child Health Spring Meeting, York
University of Dundee Teaching:
- Phase 2 System Convenor
- Examiner in Child Health: OSCE examination; 5th Year Portfolio
- SSC: Convenor Phase 2 Child Health Programme;
- “Growth and Development Course” in Phase 2. 1996 – on-going
- Participation Phase 3 SSC Programme
- Lectures in Phase 2 Systems Learning: ‘Diabetes’; ‘Adrenal and Thyroid problems in Children’
- IT learning packages: directed a computer based internal examination for 4th Year Paediatrics.
Initiation and supervision of creation of Dundee “Medblog” – Dundee Junior
These ideas were translated in to a book: “Core Paediatrics”: Haddad, Greene and Olver.
I was appointed as an external examiner in Paediatrics and Child Health to:
- University of Bristol 1990-1994
- Oxford 2002 –2008
- Glasgow (MSc Paediatrics – 2009-2012)
Post Graduate (NHS Tayside and Scotland)
In my capacity as Speciality Adviser and Chairman of the Paediatric Subcommittee of the Eastern Region Postgraduate Medical Education Committee, I developed a special interest and responsibility for Postgraduate Training in Paediatrics. In my NHS position in Paediatrics I was appointed to:
- Associate Postgraduate Dean with responsibility for the training contracts of junior doctors (1991-94).
- Associate Postgraduate Dean, Eastern Region Medical Postgraduate Committee (1994-96).
- Postgraduate examiner for RCPCH/RCPE (Host organiser of the MRCP (Paeds.) nationally (1990-99):
RCPCH/RCPE Malaysia 1999, Singapore 2000, Egypt 2008.
In my position as International Fellow of the Royal College of Paediatrics I organised Post graduate Course for Paediatricians in “Teaching Child Health” in:
- Amman, Jordan – for Iraqi, Palestinian and Jordanian doctors
- Malawi and Tanzania
In 2009- ongoing , on behalf of the RCPCH and the University of Dundee, I organised and led the first PG Education Course in Paediatrics and Child Health for Iraqi Paediatricians at the Hawler Medical School Erbil, Iraq Kurdistan