Energy Environment and Society, School of Humanities, Social Sciences and Law
+44 (0)1382 384300
EDUCATION - Lincoln College, Oxford (1985 BA Jurisprudence)
MEMBERSHIPS - CEDR, CPR Institute, IAI
LANGUAGES - English, French
In 2007, Michael became head of the arbitration practice of Lovells and is now co-head of the merged firm's practice. He regularly speaks at conferences, contributed to the BIICL study on damages in investment disputes and has written extensively on arbitration practice and procedure.
Michael worked from the firm's Paris office for six years during which time he qualified as a French avocat and worked on disputes arising out of the Channel Tunnel, the EuroDisney theme park and several arbitrations arising out of the collapse of the British and Commonwealth conglomerate.
Michael has been involved in many major international arbitrations. He qualified as a CEDR mediator in 1999 and as an advocate of the Higher Courts in England in 2000.
He is a member of the Rules Revision Committee and the e-Disclosure Committee of the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC).
Recent arbitrations in which Michael has been involved include:
- Acting for a Canadian listed company restructuring its long-term supply contracts including parallel arbitration proceedings, together with negotiations with its investment bank.
- Acting for the liquidators of an insolvent Luxembourg bank on issues of English and Luxembourg banking law.
- Acting for the Seller of a manufacturing company in establishing a dispute resolution board to resolve issues of IP and IT transfer.
- Acting for an American corporation in three arbitrations against contractors relating to a development in France.
- Acting in several arbitrations for a quoted commodities company in relation to breaches of contract by one of its customers.
- Acting for an insolvent English company and its liquidators in an arbitration against a French company and its major shareholder relating to a joint venture agreement subject to English law.
- Acting for an English company in an arbitration against a French real estate development company relating to a joint venture agreement subject to English law.
- Acting for an English-based multi-national conglomerate in several arbitrations arising out of the breach of a joint venture agreement and financing agreements relating to investments in the former Soviet Union subject to English and Kazakh law.
- Acting for a Japanese company in an arbitration against an Egyptian company relating to an engineering contract subject to French law.
- Acting for an American corporation in an arbitration against a Chinese company arising out of a management contract subject to English law.
- Acting for an African state in an arbitration against an Italian company arising out of a sovereign debt reduction scheme subject to the law of the African country.
- Acting for a Swedish multi-national company in an arbitration against an Indian company arising out of a supply contract subject to the law of Hong Kong.
- Acting for a captive insurer in an ad hoc arbitration against an English company arising out of a warehousing contract subject to English law.
- Acting for an English multinational in an arbitration against a Chinese company arising out of a disputed loan agreement subject to English law relating to an abortive joint venture in China.
- Acting for a major French engineering company in an arbitration against a French competitor arising out of warranty claims under a share purchase agreement governed by French law.
- Acting for a major French state-owned company seeking the renegotiation of complex finance documentation where the relevant dispute resolution clauses provide for arbitration.