I am a Lecturer in Accounting and the Programme Lead of our Masters in Professional Accountancy programme. I am also responsible for the professional accreditation of our accountancy programmes.
I have been teaching in higher education for three decades. Currently I teach a range of topics including financial and management accounting, business law and business information systems.
Membership of Professional bodies
I am a Certified Accountant (registered in Hungary), a Fellow of the Chartered Management Institute and an Academic Member of the Association of International Accountants.
- MA Economist-Teacher with subject specialism on accounting and statistics (Corvinus University, Budapest)
- Economist with a Postgraduate Diploma in Law (Legal Post Graduate institute of the Eötvös Loránd University, Budapest)
- MSc in International Accounting and Finance with distinction (Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh)
- PhD in Accountancy (Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh)
I have 12 years of practical experience on auditing (Hungarian State Audit Office, auditor) and accounting (T-Mobile Hungary, chief accountant).
- Compliance with IASs / IFRSs
- Segmental reporting
- Application of the materiality concept
- Country-by-country reporting (CBCR)
- Lease accounting
- Financial accounting in transition economies
- Impacts of technology on the profession
Areas of expertise
- Financial and management accounting
- Business Law
- Business Information systems
- Health, Welfare and Education
- Markets and Governance
- Intermediate Financial Accounting (from academic year 2016/2017)
- Advanced Financial Accounting (from academic year 2014/2015)
- Professional Financial Reporting Practice (from academic year 2014/2015)
- Professional Management Accounting (from academic year 2019/2020)
- Professional Accountancy Project (from academic year 2015/2016)
- Business Law (from academic year 2014/2015)
- Business Information Systems (from academic year 2018/2019)
- International Accounting and Financial Reporting (2018/2019 to 2019/2020)
- Introductory Financial Accounting (from academic year 2014/2015 to 2018/2019)
A collaborate discussion initiated by University of Dundee with FinTechs, regulators and Academics.
John Hughes talks to us about his experience studying our BAcc Accountancy course