Adverse Childhood Experiences and Mental Health module (PY52011)
Gain a detailed understanding of the theoretical issues within the field of developmental origins of adult health.
Become familiar with the common methodologies and paradigms in the area.
Understand adverse childhood experiences and their impact on health, including mental health, physical health and educational performance.
Critically evaluate relevant research and contrast competing theories.
Topics usually include:
- history of adverse childhood experiences (ACEs)
- conceptualising definitions of ACEs
- global statistics and measurement of ACEs
- childhood consequences of ACEs
- mental health across the lifespan and consequences of ACEs in adulthood
- theories examining the link between ACEs and mental health
- prevention and interventions
- practical implications