Modern Concepts in Statistical Physics module (PH42004)
On this page
In this module, you will learn the basics of statistical physics's modern (20th-century) formulations. This will serve as a basis for further post-graduate studies of many-body physics.
- Review of thermodynamics: state variables, equation of state, laws of thermodynamics; fundamental equation of thermodynamics; thermodynamic potentials.
- Classical statistical mechanics ensembles (micro-canonical, canonical, macro-canonical)
- Black-body radiation. Failure of classical physics. Planck's formula.
- Specific heat of solids. Einstein and Debye models.
- Fermi-Dirac statistics. Fermi energy. Sommerfeld expansion.
- Bose-Einstein statistics. Bose-Einstein condensation.
- Thermodynamics of phase transitions. Ehrenfest classification of phase transitions.
- Scaling (phenomenology). Scaling relations. Landau's mean-field theory of continuous phase transitions.
- Basic of out-of-equilibrium physics. Random walk. Langevin equation. Brownian motion. Ornstein–Uhlenbeck process.