Private Client module (LW50105)
Learn about legal services for private clients i.e. wills, estate administration, taxation, and trusts. Develop skills in drafting and interpreting documents
The module offers an introduction to the various legal services for private clients. These include:
- the drafting of wills and other testamentary documents
- the administration of testate and intestate estates
- inheritance tax
- and assisting adults who might not have the capacity to make some decisions for themselves
What you will learn
In this module you will:
- understand the scope of private client legal services
- learn the essentials of will drafting, estate administration, inheritance tax, and trusts
- develop skills in drafting legal documents and interpreting documents drafted by others
- learn effective and clear communication
By the end of this module, you will be able to:
- show the knowledge and skills required for private client services
- understand the area of private client legal practice. You will also understand the tasks undertaken in this field
- communicate clearly, effectively, and empathetically in a way appropriate to your audience
- draft and interpret legally effective documents
- have knowledge of services performed by private client solicitors
Assignments / assessment
- coursework (90%)
- professional attributes (10%)
- include attendance and participation in tutorials
This module does not have a final exam.
Teaching methods / timetable
This module will be delivered through a combination of lectures and tutorials. The emphasis is on tutorial learning.
Lectures will be used to present information and structure your learning, with some interaction.
Tutorials will allow you to take part in small group work and student-led discussion.
This module is available on following courses: