Creating your Future: Innovation, Careers and Enterprise (Adv) module (LW32044)
Increase your employability and stand out in a competitive graduate market, gain entrepreneurial insight and commercial awareness to help you after graduation
Discover key employability skills required for success as a graduate.
Develop an entrepreneurial mindset and commercial awareness to excel in your career.
You will then gain skills required to analyse a range of suitable career options for you. You will also be able to identify the professional skills and behaviours to succeed as a graduate
As well as making effective career decisions, you will also learn practical skills including:
- writing an effective CV
- completing job application forms
- successfully answering questions at interviews
- presenting yourself with confidence.
Entrepreneurial skills are valued both in self-employment and by employers. You will also learn how to communicate with a wider pool of clients from micro, small, medium, and large enterprises.
You will be able to demonstrate high levels of commercial awareness and identify ways to develop it, a key skill for graduate recruiters.
This module is taught by the Careers Service and the Centre for Entrepreneurship.
What you will learn
In this module, you will:
- understand the Career planning process and its personal application
- identify and apply personal factors of career choice
- gain an awareness of opportunities available during university and post-graduation
- practise self-presentation skills to help secure the chosen graduate option
- understand the purpose, concepts and the key processes of developing a business idea
By the end of this module, you will be able to:
- identify the professional skills and behaviours required for a career in law/graduate level work
- communicate your level of competence in those skills
- describe the components of a standard graduate recruitment process
- examine your potential as entrepreneurs/intrapreneurs
- analyse roles and preferences in team working situations,
- identify strategies for optimising team performance
- gain an understanding of sustainability, ethics and social corporate responsibility in the 21st Century
Assignments / assessment
- job study (25%)
- internship/graduate job application form or CV and cover letter (25%)
- preparation of Business Model Canvas (35%)
- presentation of the Business Model Canvas (15%).
This module does not have a final exam.
Teaching methods / timetable
The module is delivered through a combination of lectures, in-class activities and workshops.
This module is available on following courses: