Venture Capital and Private Equity module (BU52047)
Learn about the operation of venture capital and private equity firms, focusing on how venture capital firms screen and select business proposals.
Venture capital and private equity are forms of investment in companies and crucial aspects of the financial industry.
Venture capital focuses on early-stage start-ups, providing funding and guidance for their growth.
Private equity invests in mature companies, often acquiring and restructuring them.
They both play critical roles in providing capital, strategic guidance, and operational support to help businesses grow and achieve their objectives.
They are important drivers of innovation, entrepreneurship, and economic growth.
This module draws on recent international evidence about current developments in the venture capital industry from different countries to improve understanding of the topic.
What you will learn
In this module, you will:
- learn about the operation of venture capital firms and the private equity industry
- look at how venture capital firms operate and select businesses for investment
- study the investment process including screening and selection of proposals, negotiation, and structuring of deals and exit routes
By the end of this module, you will be able to:
- understand what private equity is and how venture capital works
- know about the business planning process required to secure venture capital funding
- be aware of the legal context in which venture capital funding operates
- understand the use of accounting and non-financial information in valuing venture capital investments
- apply valuation approaches used by venture capital funding and private equity investors
- consider the range of exit routes open to venture capital firms, such as stock market listings and trade sales
Assignments / assessment
This module is assessed through coursework and a final exam.
- A 2,500 word group project developing a business plan based on an assigned scenario (30%)
- A 2-hour final exam (70%)
Teaching methods / timetable
You will participate in two 1-hour teaching sessions a week.
This will include a lecture and a practical tutorial session. Videos and case studies will also be provided to supplement the lecture content.
|1||Introduction to venture capital|
|3||Deal selection and syndication|
|4||Patenting in high-tech companies and an introduction to valuation|
|5||Further aspects of valuation|
|6||Deal structuring and monitoring|
|7||Investments in Mature Companies – turnaround deals & buyouts|
|8||Exit Strategies – Trade Sales|
|9||Exit Strategies – Stock market listings|
This module is available on following courses: