Dissertation module (BU52010)
This module aims to provide students with the opportunity to undertake supervised, independent research into a topic of their choice.
This module will give you the independent research and evaluation skills necessary to analyse a complex issue or problem within the areas of accounting, finance or management and to define conduct and report on a substantial piece of empirical research in the area. It will enable you to integrate knowledge and skills acquired across your course and assess your ability to analyse a complex issue or problem within the area of accounting, finance or management.
Your dissertation will be based upon primary (or secondary) research undertaken. It may either take the form of an analysis of a current issue in your chosen area, and/or it may be in the form of an answer to a specific problem in the area of accounting, finance or management.
To complete this module you will choose your topic and then design and conduct your chosen dissertation project with the support of your supervisor.
What you will learn
In this module, you will:
- apply theory to real-world problems faced by accountants, policy-makers, financial institutions and/ or investors and gain and understand of the difficulties involved in applying academic theories to real-world accounting, finance or management
- solve quantitative problems using financial data and be able to analyse and interpret accounting and/or financial data
- manage your time effectively, work independently of other people and communicate orally and in writing in a clear and concise manner
By the end of this module, you will be able to:
- write a dissertation in an engaging manner
- read, understand and critically evaluate research and articles in leading accounting, finance and/ or management journals
- discriminate between material that is central to an issue and that which is auxiliary and synthesise information from a number of sources in order to gain a coherent understanding of the theory and practice of accounting, finance or management
Assignments / assessment
Final dissertation (100%)
- Due in August
- 15,000 words
This module does not have a final exam.
Teaching methods / timetable
You will have a two-hour long introductory session from the module organiser, followed by a number of supervisory meetings during the summer semester.
This module is available on following courses: