Doing Business in Scotland module (BU31004)
During this module you will learn how to launch a new Scottish business onto a national or international market, create a business plan and market your idea.
This module examines the business environment with a focus on developing and growing a business in Scotland.
It includes the study of the economic and macro environment and potential implications for business. Business scale up theories and concepts will be examined using examples to choose appropriate strategies.
Students will be working collaboratively to generate new business ideas which will draw on both new and existing knowledge from the course to generate a new business idea.
What you will learn
In this module, you will:
- gain insights on building businesses through entrepreneurship
- develop your selling skills (identify main markets and segments, distribution channels, building relationships with distributors, fulfilment of sales)
- appreciate marketing and branding strategy (brand of organisation, advertising and promotion, building customer loyalty)
- source appropriate resources to follow the business plan (capital expenditure, research and management)
- learn how to access funding and understand the different models (equity, debt and grants)
By the end of this module, you will be able to:
- recognise market opportunities for business start up and growth
- discuss the importance of business growth in addressing economic and social change (employment, economy, organisational brand, contribution to community)
- create your own business plan
Assignments / assessment
- Individual business plan (70%)
- Individual poster of business idea (30%)
This module does not have a final exam.
Teaching methods / timetable
This module will be delivered by a combination of lectures, seminars and module-specific case studies.
Students will be encouraged to read in advance and participate in discussion.
There are 11 weeks of teaching. For this module, the exact dates of teaching and/or reading weeks are to be confirmed.
This module is available on following courses: