Travel guidance for returning international students

Updated on 6 August 2021

Covid-19 travel guidance for international students returning to the University of Dundee from overseas

On this page

Can I travel back to the UK?

You must have immigration permission to enter the UK. This may include an existing valid Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) card or a visa vignette in your passport.

BRP cards

  • If you have a valid BRP card, you can use it to enter the UK provided it will remain valid on your entry date and cover you for the remainder of your studies.
  • If you have been on a break from your studies for 60 days or more, please contact us so we can confirm if your immigration status is still valid by emailing
  • If you require a new CAS this will only be issued if your School confirms that there will be face to face teaching.


  • If you have an entry clearance vignette (yellow sticker in your passport) that is still valid, you may use it to enter the UK. If it has expired, you can follow the steps in the “Expired Vignette” section to apply for a replacement.

Quarantine on arrival

Scotland has implemented a traffic light system for international arrivals. Please check the latest government guidance for arrivals directly to Scotland from overseas.

Red list countries

Before travelling to Scotland from a Red List country, you must:

On arrival in Scotland you must:

  • quarantine in the hotel you’ve booked for 10 days. The cost is £1,750. If you test positive for Covid-19 while in quarantine, you may need to quarantine for longer.

If you have arrived from a red list country you may be eligible for a refund from the University for the above quarantine costs. Please see Quarantine support for international students

View the current Red List countries

Amber list countries

If you’ve been in an Amber List country in the 10 days before travelling to Scotland, you must:

On arrival in Scotland you must:

View the current Amber List countries

Green list countries

Before travelling to Scotland from a Green List country or area, you must:

You will not need to isolate unless:

  • the result of the Covid-19 test you’ve taken on day 2 after arriving back in Scotland is positive
  • NHS Scotland Test and Protect contact you to let you know that you need to isolate as you’ve travelled with someone who has tested positive for Covid-19

If you’ve been in a country or area on the red or amber list in the 10 days before arriving in Scotland, you’ll need to follow the rules for red or amber list countries.

View the current Green List countries

Test To Release (England)

England has a Test-to-Release Program. If you:

  1. are self-isolating in England and
  2. did not transit a red list country, then you are eligible for this program on day 5 of your quarantine in England.

On day 5 you may elect to pay for and take a private Covid-19 test. If negative, you can end your self-isolation period.

Test to Release does not apply in Scotland

If you took a test on day 5 after arriving in England in order to end your isolation early, you will still need to complete the 10 days of isolation when you reach Scotland.

International Advice Service 

For more information contact the International Advice Service 

Expired vignette sticker

You can extend the validity of your entry clearance vignette sticker in your passport if it is expired or will soon expire. You won’t need to make a new student visa application. 

Vignette lost/stolen/damaged/expired outside the UK

You will have to pay £154 for this new application and provide your biometric information again, but you will not have to submit a new Student visa application. 

You will need to apply online for a Transfer of conditions (vignette transfer). You should select the following options:   

  • Confirm your visa type: BRP Vignette Transfer
  • Category of application: To transfer or replace your visa (vignette)
  • In the additional information section you should explain that you have been granted a Student route visa to study in the UK but you need a new 30-day vignette as you have not been able (or will not be able) to travel to the UK before the end of the 30-day vignette that you have been issued; or because your vignette has been damaged, lost or stolen. 

You must collect your BRP within 10 working days of entry to the UK, or before the vignette expires, whichever is later. You will not be expected to collect your BRP during a period of self-isolation.

Landing in England, then taking a connecting flight from England to Scotland

You should be able to travel onward to Scotland from England if you did not transit a red list country and do not pass through Immigration Control in England.