Register with a doctor

Updated on 20 December 2022

You need to register at a local GP surgery to easily access NHS healthcare

On this page

You should register with a local GP practice (doctors surgery) as soon as possible after arriving in Dundee. If you do not register you may have difficulty accessing NHS care if you need it.

The University Health Service is not a full medical practice and does not cover out of hours and emergencies. If you have not registered with a local doctor you will not be covered in these situations.

If you are already registered with a GP in the UK, but not close to where you will live as a student, you will need to transfer your NHS record to a new GP Practice and re-register in person with a new GP practice. 

Find a GP practice

You should register with a practice close to where you are living. 

Surgeries local to City Campus

The following GP surgeries usually attend Matriculation in person and have many students registered with them.

  • Hawkhill Medical Centre
  • Nethergate Medical Centre (please call first)
  • Tay Court Surgery

Contact the local GP practice that you have chosen as soon as possible as there may be limited spaces available.

You will need three forms of identification to register:

  • a passport or UK driving licence
  • student ID card
  • documentation with your Dundee address on it (for example, a utility bill or Confirmation of Student Status Letter from eVision, listed under Student Resources)

If you are given an initial appointment but do not attend your registration may be cancelled.

Treatments, advice, and health promotion are available at all GP practices or medical centres.

Specialist care can only be accessed via your local GP, you cannot access them directly.

Do I need to pay for anything?

NHS healthcare and prescriptions in Scotland are free. However you will have to pay for dental and optical treatment. If you have a very low income you may be able to receive help with these costs.

If you are an international student in the UK, as part of your visa application you will pay for access to the National Health Service. This includes spouses and dependent children. The payment for this is dependent on the duration of your visa. For up to date information on these costs, please see the UK Government website.


You can get medicines, including those prescribed by a doctor, at local pharmacies/chemists. Prescriptions are currently free of charge in Scotland.

Controls on medications in the UK may mean that medication you can normally purchase in a pharmacy in other countries may only be available by prescription here. Pharmacies can also provide advice and assistance with minor illnesses.


There is no need to register with an optician. NHS eye tests in Scotland are free but you will have to pay for your glasses or contact lenses unless exempt or on a low income.

Guide category Student support, Welcome