Graduate Apprenticeship in IT Software Development
Our BSc (Hons) IT Software Development Graduate Apprenticeship is designed to produce graduates with:
- competence in custom software development processes, including the knowledge, skills, and professional competencies necessary to begin practice as a software engineer
- ability to confidently work as an individual and as part of a team
- skills to design appropriate solutions in a range of application contexts/domains using software development approaches
- skills to build and test software solutions for a range of application contexts/domains
- ability to reconcile conflicting project objectives, finding acceptable compromises
- understanding of current theories, models, and techniques that provide a basis for problem identification and analysis, software design, development, implementation, verification, and documentation
- understanding of the importance of applying negotiation, effective work habits, leadership, and good communication with stakeholders
Teaching will take place one day a week in the University over 42 weeks a year. There will be a two week break at both Christmas and Easter and a six week break in the summer.
Graduate Apprenticeships at the University of Dundee are project-based degrees. We engage with employers to find projects that apprentices can undertake as part of their employment and apply the skills and knowledge acquired through their study.
- The Graduate Apprentice must be a resident in Scotland at the start of their programme.
- Their usual place of work must be in Scotland.
- They should not already have a qualification at the same level in the same subject.
- They should meet the entry requirements.
Regular workshops with programme partners will review content in line with both employer and apprentice needs.
- Business Strategy and Management
- Software Development Essentials
- Data and Algorithms
- Software Configuration and Release Management
- Professional Attributes
- Business Functions, Behaviours, Ethics, and Courtesies
- Business Finance and Accounting
- Software Modelling & Analysis
- Software Architecture
- Software Development Process
- Software Development in Context
- Software Maintenance
- Legacy Systems
- Software Requirements Management
- Software Design
- Software Verification and Testing
- Software Deployment
- Software Quality
- Data Modelling, Database Development and Data Analysis
- Risk & Information Security
- Agile Project Delivery
- Personal Attributes
- Team Working
Year 4 – Honours Project Year
- Project Management Methodologies
- Project Risk Assessment and Management
- Project Planning
- Project Execution
Candidates should have one of:
- a Modern Apprenticeship in a relevant area and two science or engineering subjects at Higher level (computing science is recommended)
- a Foundation Apprenticeship in a relevant area and two science or engineering subjects at Higher level (computing science is recommended)
- BBBC at Higher level including two science or engineering subjects (computing science is recommended) or equivalent
If you have candidates who you would be interested in sending on this Graduate Apprenticeship, but do not have any formal qualifications they can:
- go through a recognition of prior learning interview and/or
- enter through Discover Learning at Dundee
We will work closely with you on the admission process. For example, if you are hiring a new employee as a Graduate Apprentice, we will happily discuss if they are eligible to apply.