CEPMLP Anglo American Scholarship
Energy Petroleum and Mineral Law and Policy
Level of Study
Mode of Study
Living costs, Tuition Fees
Country of domicile
Overseas: Available for 11 countries. See all countries
Country Overseas: Angola, Argentina, Botswana, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Namibia, Peru, South Africa, Zambia
This offer is for students taking LLM International Mineral Law and Policy ONLY during the academic session 2019/2020 which covers September 2019 and January 2020 entrants.
Applicants eligible for consideration should:
- Already hold a degree of an equivalent standard to at least a good UK upper second class honours degree or higher
- Be able to demonstrate a high level of English language competence (minimum of IELTS 6.5 or equivalent, with no component less than 6.0)
- Display intellectual ability and leadership potential
- Have a proven track record and potential to rise to positions of influence
- Preferably be qualified lawyers having had some post-degree work experience in mining in the government, private sector, or academia.
Applicants should also be a national and resident of the following countries at the time of applying for the award, go on to complete the degree within 12 months and return to their home country at the end of the period of study.
List of countries are: Angola, Argentina, Botswana, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Namibia, Peru, South Africa, Zambia
* Applicants from other countries seeking the scholarship will not be considered.
** Employees, employee's relatives (or former employees who have left employment less than 5 years before) of Anglo American and the University of Dundee will not be eligible to apply for these awards.
Anglo American, together with CEPMLP, acknowledges the importance of contributing worldwide to sustainable mineral resources development.
As part of its interest in supporting best regulatory practice in the mining sector, Anglo American are now offering two fully funded postgraduate scholarships leading to the LLM International Mineral Law and Policy.
The award will offer the successful candidate:
- Payment of academic tuition fees
- 12 monthly stipends for living expenses for a single student
- An arrival allowance and thesis/internship report allowance
How to Apply
Please note that there is no separate application form for the Anglo American Scholarship.
Candidates who are offered unconditional admission to the full-time LLM International Mineral Law and Policy programme should provide a 250-word Personal Statement sent by email attachment to Alison Anderson by 31st of July 2019.
Those who hold a conditional offer are not eligible to submit the supporting statement.
Given that these Scholarships are highly competitive, it is important to demonstrate in your Personal Statement that you are motivated to make a career that will take you to a position of leadership in the mining sector in your own country within 10 years of your Scholarship. You must be committed to networking to find global solutions and you should be able to use your studies and experience gained in the UK to benefit yourself, your country and the UK. You should become a first-class ambassador for the UK in your home country.
Your Personal Statement should emphasise the following points:
- Your ability to make a difference in the world, illustrated by your leadership qualities
- Your skills in communications and the ability to influence people and decisions
- Your networking ability, ambition and plans for the future
- Your academic background and potential on the LLM degree programme, your strength of character and integrity
- Your outside interests – i.e. hobbies and activities
The decision about the awards of these Scholarships will be made by August 9 2019. If you have not heard from us by this time, then please assume that your application for the Scholarship has been unsuccessful. Due to the volume of applications we receive for these Scholarships, we regret that we are unable to contact unsuccessful applicants individually or provide feedback on applications.
For any enquiries, please contact Alison Anderson (email@example.com)