Within the School of Social Sciences, our architecture academics join our town and regional planning academics in sharing an ethos based upon Geddesian dialogues between theory and practice, localism and the international, the synoptic view and specialism.
To read more, please visit our Architecture and Urban Planning research pages.
Our research includes work on the following:
- zero carbon building and energy networks
- the environmental performance of buildings
- the environmental assessment of regions
- planning, sustainable place-making and community engagement
- social mobilities and spatial inequalities
- urban culture and society
- urban theory, history and subjectivities
- building design in the landscape
Current research topics include:
- Architecture and place- typology
- Architecture and the City- viable solutions for growing urban populations
- Regional environmental assessment and its application on sustainable planning
- Urban planning and international Housing Delivery
- Urban Conservation
You should have an honours degree at 2.1 or above, and a Masters degree in a relevant discipline.
English language requirements
You do not need to prove your knowledge of English if you are a national of certain countries.
Don't meet the English language requirements?
English language programmes
Prepare for university study and benefit from extra English tuition with an English language programme.
Applying for a research degree
Use UCAS Postgraduate to apply for a research degree. Please read the guidance on filling in your UCAS Postgraduate application before proceeding with your application.
- PhD in Architecture
- Architecture & Planning (PhD 3 Year Programme)
- Architecture & Planning (PhD 4 Year Programme)
Dr Janet Liao
Director of Doctoral Studies
+44 (0)1382 384928