We have some of the top law academics in the UK working on world-leading research as part of the wider School of Social Sciences.
Our researchers have expertise across:
- Corporate and commercial law
- Criminal law and justice
- Environmental law
- Human rights
- Private international law
- Public international law
- Public law
- Scots law
Current research topics includes:
- Human Rights and Liberal Democracy
- Towards an International Law of Energy
- Domestic assaults and abuse: a comparison of two or more jurisdictions’ criminal procedures as they impact on the victims of domestic violence
- Developments and specific issues associated with corporate insolvency
- Environmental Accountability
- Subnational Constitutionalism
- The polluter pays principle in energy law
- Law and visuality
- Cultural legal studies
- Critical legal theory / critical legal studies
- Private international law
- Water services governance and regulation
To read more, please visit our Law research pages.
You should have an honours degree at 2.1 or above, and/or a Masters degree in a relevant discipline.
English Language Requirement: IELTS of 6.5 overall, with no less than 6.0 in the written component and no less than 5.5 in any other component, if your first language is not English. Please check our Language Requirements page for details of equivalent grades from other test providers, and information about the University of Dundee English Language courses.
English language pre-sessional programmes
We offer pre-sessional programmes which are designed to prepare you for university study, the 24 week and 10 week programmes provide additional English language tuition for students who do not meet our minimum English language requirements by up to 1.0 IELTS and 0.5 IELTS respectively. Successful completion of these programmes guarantees progression to various degrees at the University of Dundee as long as you hold a relevant offer.
How to apply
Before applying please consult the following applicant checklist:
- Check the current staff research interests
- Prepare a research proposal (maximum length of 3,000 words), which must include the following:
- The statement of a preliminary research question
- Hypothesis and argument
- How the research contributes to the existing literature
Your proposal should allow us to ensure that we have an appropriate supervisor and the library facilities to enable you to complete your study successfully. It will also demonstrate your own ability to produce a substantial and coherent outline for your work.
To apply for a research degree in Law, use the online system UCAS Postgraduate, via the link below.
You need to read the information regarding how to upload relevant documents to UCAS Postgraduate before proceeding with your application.
- PhD in Law
- Law (PhD 4 year programme)
- Non-graduating research in Dundee Law School (6 months or more)
- Non-graduating research in Dundee Law School (less than 6 months)
- LLM (Research) Law
Dr Theresa Dunne
Director of Doctoral Studies, School of Social Sciences
+44 (0)1382 385174