Study the technological aspects, and the fundamental and advanced concepts of motion measurement and clinical analysis.
This programme is delivered by the Institute of Motion Analysis & Research within the Department of Orthopaedic & Trauma Surgery at the TORT Centre.
The MSc in Motion Analysis was launched in 2006 and is designed to provide an understanding of the principles of musculoskeletal movements and the methods to measure and analyse movements based on clinical applications by leading experts in Foot Pressure Analysis, Clinical Gait Analysis, Simulation and Modelling, and Instrumentation and Modelling.
This programme is suitable for students at graduate level from medicine, podiatry, physiotherapy, physiology, sports, science, engineering, sports exercise, and clinical health professions.
This Master of Science degree at the University of Dundee is the first postgraduate degree in the field of motion analysis and clinical gait analysis worldwide.
The course focuses on the application of motion analysis to activities such as clinical gait analysis, foot pressure analysis, clinical biomechanics, sports performance, ergonomics, rehabilitation, animal locomotion, film special effects and activities of daily living.
Graduates of the course will be able to contribute to team work with a more profound knowledge of the inter-relationship between anatomy, biomechanics, movement mechanism of human performance at all levels and clinical outcome. You will be able to use these skills and knowledge to successfully increase your level of integration of anatomy, motion and biomechanics within your respective professions and disciplines at an advanced teaching and research level.
On graduation, you will be able to demonstrate the following:
- The ability to analyze the relationship between movements, anatomy, and biomechanics
- The assessment of patient gait in clinical practice, for example, cerebral palsy, stroke, amputee and orthopaedics
- The evaluation of foot deformity, shoe design and pressure for patients, for example, clubfoot children, young football players, and for shoe manufacturers
- The modelling of a musculoskeletal system such as a multi-segment foot/hand
- The techniques of modelling a musculoskeletal system, for example, a musculoskeletal model of lower limb during movements
- The analysis of musculoskeletal movement with rehabilitation device such as wheelchair propulsion or crutch supported walking
- The assessment of muscle activities in various rehabilitation and sport exercises such as cricket, climbing and rowing
- The need for continuing education for higher degree in motion analysis
Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF)
The University of Dundee has been given a Gold award – the highest possible rating – in the 2017 Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF).
Aims of the programme
The programme is intended to provide students with an understanding and knowledge of the technological aspects, and the fundamental and advanced concepts of motion measurement and clinical analysis.
How you will be assessed
The modules are assessed by a combination of written examination and continuous assessment. In addition, the research project, undertaken by those studying towards an MSc, is assessed by dissertation and oral examination.
What you will study
This is a modular course, which includes a foundation module, plus the following subjects:
- Motion Measurement
- Fundamentals in Motion Analysis
- Advanced Motion Analysis
For more details, visit the course website.
In addition, those studying for an MSc undertake a research project in a relevant area.
This course is particularly well positioned to prepare for entry into a clinical academic career path. Those students not already in academia or the NHS will broaden their scope of being able to do so but in addition benefit from a range of opportunities in the public and private sector involving clinical treatment, sports and exercise.
- Clinical gait analyst in heathy service system
- Clinical foot pressure expert in podiatry clinic
- Physiotherapist with the skill in motion analysis
- Advanced researcher in motion analysis for research institute
- Advanced scientists in national sports training/completive centre
- Qualified teacher and researcher in higher education
- Motion analyst in sport exercise
- Scientific researcher in biomechanical modelling
- Various motion analysts in shoe/sports/rehabilitation equipment manufacturers
I’ve recently just got a job at the University of Western Australia as a lecturer. The knowledge I gained doing the MSc in Motion Analysis has enabled me to apply and get the position at this University but it has also given me the skills to decide on actually extending and doing further study and tackling my PhD.
I enjoyed the whole experience and it’s definitely one of the most memorable experiences that I’ve had during my whole academic career, or academic life so far. I will always treasure the times I spent in Dundee and the people that I worked with. It was definitely most rewarding.
Students must normally hold a degree or professional qualification acceptable to the Head of Division or Programme Director, for example, engineering, physiotherapy, occupational therapy, orthotics, prosthetics, nursing or medicine.
English Language Requirement
English Language Programmes
We offer Pre-Sessional and Foundation Programme(s) throughout the year. These are designed to prepare you for university study in the UK when you have not yet met the language requirements for direct entry onto a degree programme.
The fees you pay will depend on your fee status. Your fee status is determined by us using the information you provide on your application.
|Fee status||Fees for students starting academic year 2019-20|
|Scottish and EU students||£11,000 per year of study
See our scholarships for UK/EU applicants
|Rest of UK students||£11,000 per year of study
See our scholarships for UK/EU applicants
|Overseas students (non-EU)||£11,000 per year of study
See our scholarships for International applicants
You may incur additional costs in the course of your education at the University over and above tuition fees in an academic year.
Examples of additional costs:
|One off cost||Ongoing cost||Incidental cost|
|Graduation fee||Studio fee||Field trips|
*these are examples only and are not exhaustive.
- may be mandatory or optional expenses
- may be one off, ongoing or incidental charges and certain costs may be payable annually for each year of your programme of study
- vary depending on your programme of study
- are payable by you and are non-refundable and non-transferable
Unfortunately, failure to pay additional costs may result in limitations on your student experience.
For additional costs specific to your course please speak to our Enquiry Team.
You apply for this course through our Direct Application System, which is free of charge. You can find out more information about making your application when you click Apply Now below
|Apply now||Motion Analysis MSc / PGDip / PGCert||P037293|
Dr Weijie Wang
+44 (0)1382 383518