Our online course is for people who are new to teaching and want to learn about medical education.
This online course is designed for those:
- new to teaching and training
- who wish to gain further skills and knowledge in the area of medical education
We have over 30 years experience delivering courses for health care professionals. We pride ourselves in the quality of the material and our learning is interactive. Our tutors, administrators and technical staff have a wealth of experience.
Our course has been mapped to the frameworks of the:
- Higher Education Academy
- Academy of Medical Educators
We also offer a full-time face-to-face Medical Education course which is delivered in Dundee.
Gain a Postgraduate Certificate, Postgraduate Diploma or Masters
We pride ourselves in the quality of the material we produce. We also take and interactive approach to learning. Our staff have a wealth of experience. The presentation and content of the courses reflects this.
Our online course material has been based on best evidence education. Assessments are contextualised to suit the participants' workplace setting.
The programme is flexible with three intakes per year. Students study modules for twelve weeks commencing in January, May and September of each year.
- Modules cover relevant themes within Medical Education
- Online delivery and marking incorporates the latest learning tools
- Regular feedback is provided as well as tutor interaction
- Formative assessments
- A wide range of optional modules to suit your own learning requirements
- Innovative learning experiences
- Tailored modules in certain specialties
- The Certificate is accredited by the AoME
I have been teaching my colleagues on ward rounds and in teaching presentations for at least ten years now, but just doing a small part of the degree, the first module, has shown me where I had been lacking and how I can improve myself. I have changed my teaching styles by using more hands on teaching, remembering to ask my students to reflect on what they have learnt and reflecting on my own teaching. I believe that medical education at Dundee is the way forward, and feel enthusiastic to continue through this fascinating degree.
Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF)
The University of Dundee has been given a Gold award – the highest possible rating – in the 2017 Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF).
How you will be taught
Our postgraduate programmes in Medical Education are delivered via an innovative e-learning environment incorporating a range of exciting interactive teaching and assessment techniques. These resources enable peer and tutor interaction and include podcasts, blogs, discussion boards, webinars, video clips, formative feedback and more.
Students on these courses are supported by an online introductory induction programme which promotes familiarity with the tools, processes and facilities available to students during their academic journey with us.
We embrace the ‘social’ dimension of our online courses. Course participants, tutors and administrators have regular contact with each other, enhancing the learning experience. The course has a nurturing learning climate – one that caters for a variety of learning needs and styles.
How you will be assessed
Each module is assessed via written assignments, which vary in number, length and task. Students self-review their work in line with good pedagogical principles of assessment before submitting their work. Tutors feed back formatively on this self-review and summatively on the assignment, thus entering a feedback dialogue.
What you will study
- Postgraduate Certificate (60-credits) will equip practitioners to be teachers driven by a strong pedagogical and evidence-based approach. It consists of three 20-credit modules – two core (Learning and Teaching in Medical Education and The Principles of Assessment in Medical Education) plus one optional core module.
- Postgraduate Diploma (an additional 60-credits, total 120-credits) will equip practitioners to be leaders in medical education. It consists of an additional three 20-credit modules - one core (either Leadership in Healthcare & Healthcare Education or Curriculum Planning & Evaluation) and two additional optional modules. Those students wishing to progress to the Masters will be required to study the Research in Medical Education optional module as an additional core.
- Masters (an additional 60-credits, total 180-credits) will equip practitioners to be educational researchers utilising rigorous and diverse methodologies to answer innovative and original questions. It will consist of a 12,000 – 15,000 word dissertation.
- Learning and Teaching in Medical Education
- Principles of Assessment in Medical Education
- Leadership in Healthcare & Healthcare Education*
- Curriculum Planning & Evaluation *
- Medical Education Research
- Dissertation Module
- Technology Enhanced Learning
- Assessing Knowledge, Skills and Attitudes
- Professionalism in Medical Education
- Clinical Teaching
- Education Support and Resilience
- Faculty Development in the Health Professions
- Medical Education for Surgical Trainers
- Medical Education for Anaesthetists
- Medical Education for General Practitioners
- Learning, Teaching and Assessment in Radiology
- Medical Education in Oncology
*Students must have completed either Leadership in Healthcare & Healthcare Education OR Curriculum Planning & Evaluation to be awarded the Diploma
Completion of the Certificate, Diploma or Masters can help you with career progression.
Recent examples include:
- Dr Martin Wohlin, subsequently appointed Head of the Unit for Medical Education in Uppsala University, Sweden.
- Dr Haitham El Bingawi, subsequently appointed Head of the Medical Education Unit at the University of Medical Sciences and Technology, Khartoum, Sudan.
- Dr Senga Pemba, subsequently appointed as the Director of the Tanzanian Training Centre for International Health.
Candidates must have obtained a first degree in a healthcare discipline or other equivalent qualification acceptable to the Course Director.
English Language Requirement
English Language Programmes
We offer Pre-Sessional and Foundation Programme(s) throughout the year. These are designed to prepare you for university study in the UK when you have not yet met the language requirements for direct entry onto a degree programme.
The fees you pay will depend on your fee status. Your fee status is determined by us using the information you provide on your application.
|Fee status||Fees for students starting 2017-18|
|Scottish and EU students||£3,000 (PGCert), £6,000 (PGDip), £9,000 (MMEd) - fees shown are the total you will pay for that qualification|
|Rest of UK students||£3,000 (PGCert), £6,000 (PGDip), £9,000 (MMEd) - fees shown are the total you will pay for that qualification|
|Overseas students (non-EU)||£3,000 (PGCert), £6,000 (PGDip), £9,000 (MMEd) - fees shown are the total you will pay for that qualification|
|Fee status||Fees for students starting 2018-19|
|Scottish and EU students||£9,900 (Masters), £3,300 (PG Cert), £6,600 (PGDip)|
|Rest of UK students||£9,900 (Masters), £3,300 (PG Cert), £6,600 (PGDip)|
|Overseas students (non-EU)||£9,900 (Masters), £3,300 (PG Cert), £6,600 (PGDip)|
Please complete the application form and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr Sean (John) McAleer
+44 (0)1382 381775