Professor Isla Mackenzie
Clinical Professor (Teaching and Research)
Molecular and Clinical Medicine, School of Medicine
+44 (0)1382 383202
Ninewells - Mailbox 2
Professor Isla Mackenzie MBChB (Honours), PhD, FRCP Edin, FBPharmacolS is a Professor of Cardiovascular Medicine and Honorary Consultant Physician at the University of Dundee and Ninewells Hospital, Dundee. Research interests include cardiovascular safety of drugs, clinical trials, hypertension and technology in research.
Clinical interests include general medicine, hypertension and adrenal disorders including phaeochromocytoma. Professor Mackenzie trained in Clinical Pharmacology in Cambridge prior to moving to Dundee in 2008.
My research focuses on improving cardiovascular outcomes and drug safety using a combination of large multicentre randomised clinical trials and pharmacoepidemiological approaches to answer important clinical research questions. I am also interested in clinical trial methodology and improving patient and physician engagement in clinical research. I am Chief Investigator of the ALL-HEART study (involving 424 GP sites and 5,938 patients) and Principal Investigator of other studies. I am Deputy Director of the MEMO Research Unit, University of Dundee with a team of >45 staff and >32,000 patients currently participating in our randomised clinical trials.
- Lectures, seminars, bedside teaching in Clinical Pharmacology/Therapeutics and Medicine (2000 - present)
- Marking and question writing for University of Dundee medical student examinations (2008 - present)
- Medical School Interviews, University of Dundee (2011 - present)
- 5th year student portfolio reviewer, University of Dundee (2017- present)
- Clinical Supervisor - MBPhD students (2000 - 2008)
- Clinical Pharmacology college supervisions, Cambridge (2000 - 2004)
- Clinical School Admission Interviews, University of Cambridge (2002 - 2008)
- BMSc Cardiovascular Medicine and Diabetes (2018)
Postgraduate and multidisciplinary teaching
- MRCP (PACES) teaching, Tayside (2012 -)
- Educational / Clinical Supervisor, General Medicine trainees (2012 -)
- Ward-based and clinical simulator teaching, Cambridge graduate course (2006 - 2008)
- PASTEST Lecturer in Clinical Pharmacology, London (2005 - 2008)
- Bank Physician Trainer for GSK, Cambridge (2005 - 2008)
- Member of Clinical Pharmacology Training Committee, Cambridge (2000 - 2005)
- Contributor to Clinical Pharmacology section of Medical Masterclass Website, Royal College of Physicians London / Blackwell Publishing (2003 -)
The University of Dundee is seeking thousands of volunteers for a new study assessing the effectiveness and safety of COVID-19 vaccines as they are rolled out to the public.
A new consortium to monitor the safety and effectiveness of COVID-19 vaccines has been formed, including the University of Dundee.