+44 (0)1382 384300
David is a partner in the Global Arbitration Group specialising in the oil and gas industry with a strong Africa focus.
His practice in the oil & gas industry focuses on advising host states and NOCs on their disputes, settlements, upstream activities, as well as international tenders, refinery projects, farm-out agreements and other contracts in the petroleum and petrochemicals industries. His practice includes numerous international commercial arbitration and investor-state arbitration matters involving states and state entities in North, East and West Africa before international institutions including ICC, UNCITRAL and ICSID.
David is a regular speaker at international arbitration and energy conferences, including Juris Conference, GAR Energy Disputes and GAR Live. He was an Associate Professor at the Université de Paris (II) ASSAS from 1994-1995, where he lectured on comparative law and international arbitration. He is also a lecturer at the CWC School for Energy.
David is a recognised lawyer in Chambers Global and Legal 500.
Representative Experience includes:
- Advising Tanesco and the Government of Tanzania in connection with an annulment of a USD 148 million award against Tanesco (ICSID)
- Advised the Government of Tanzania in connection with a $600m claim by Standard Chartered Bank (ICSID)
- Advised NNPC as lead international counsel and supporting Nigerian counsel in connection with an arbitration claim brought by a major IOC
- Advised Sonatrach in connection with a USD 8 billion claim by Anadarko and Maersk for recovery of an Algerian windfall profits tax under a PSA (UNCITRAL)
- Advised the Government of Algeria in connection with the USD 2.75 billion under the Denmark-Algerian BIT claim by Maersk as a result of an Algerian windfall profits tax (ICSID)
- Advised the Government of Uganda in defeating USD 400 million claim by Heritage Oil disputing a capital gains tax assessment (UNCITRAL)
- Advised the Government of Uganda in a USD 12 million claim by Total under the Netherlands-Uganda BIT in connection with a stamp duty tax assessment (ICSID)
- Advised the Uganda Revenue Authority in connection with appeals filed by Heritage Oil before the Ugandan Tax Courts in connection with the USD 400 million in capital gains tax assessment under a PSA
- Advised the Government of Uganda in settling a USD 400 million claim by Tullow Oil (ICSID), in connection with a capital gains tax assessment
- Advised the government of Gabon in connection with their revised gas regime policy
- Advised the former President of Mozambique in connection with the capital gains tax assessment against Cove Energy
- Advised the Libyan Investment Authority (LIA) and the Libyan African Investment Portfolio (LAP) in connection with a number of cases following the Libyan Revolution in 2011