The Scottish Marine And Renewables Test (SMART) Centre.
The laboratory provides modern materials testing facilities optimised for seabed geomaterials (soils and rocks), structural materials (e.g. reinforced concrete), and the interfaces between them.
Equipment and facilities
- X-Ray micro CT imaging facility
- High-speed imaging system (up to 6000 fps)
- X-Ray diffraction
- Cyclic Instron Load Frame
- High speed stress-path triaxial apparatus with bender elements
- Variable Direction Cyclic Simple Shear (VDCSS) apparatus
- Large displacement Interface shear test device (IST)
- Dynamic direct shear for partially-saturated geomaterials
- Micro-impact rig (erosion of tidal turbine blades)