Can I visit?
Any member of the Library can access any of our library sites during advertised opening hours (although security arrangements in buildings not wholly under our control may impose restrictions outwith "office hours"; see below for more information).
Certain groups of people have a right of access conferred by virtue of reciprocal agreements between universities, e.g. the SCONUL Access scheme. Members of the public who have a valid reason to use one of our libraries for reference purposes can apply for access; this access will usually be limited in duration, confers no borrowing rights, and does not permit the use of IT facilities.
Please note that access to the wi-fi network is restricted to University of Dundee staff and students. Before travelling to Dundee, staff and students from universities which participate in the eduroam service can make arrangements at their home institution to use wi-fi enabled devices during their visit.
Swipe access controlled gates are now in operation and this will lead to a general review of access arrangements. Please telephone 01382 384087 to confirm the situation before your visit.
Everyone visiting the building is required to produce a current membership card or proof of identity at Reception.
- All staff and students from the University of Dundee should show a current ID/matriculation card
- Visiting staff and students from the universities of Abertay and St Andrews, and visiting staff from the University of Stirling, should show a current ID/matriculation card (admittance is automatic under reciprocal agreements with these institutions)
- Members of the SCONUL Access scheme should show a current ID/matriculation card from their home institution and an authorisation email from SCONUL Access (or a current LLC membership card if they have already joined the Library)
- Other members of the Library should show a current LLC membership card
- During our Summer vacation students from any UK college of higher education or a UK or Irish university can use our libraries for reference purposes under the SCONUL Summer Vacation Access scheme and should show a current ID/matriculation card from their home institution
- Members of the public should show photo ID (e.g. passport or driving licence) and some recent document bearing their name and address (e.g. a utilities bill), and apply for a day pass. Please note that, without prior application in writing to email@example.com, day passes are restricted to two per semester. Applications should demonstrate a genuine need to use the Library for study or research.
When the Main Library is open but no Help services are available, members cannot be admitted without the required ID and it is not possible to apply for membership or a day pass.
Duncan of Jordanstone Library
Access to the Matthew Building is controlled by a proximity card secure entry system. Outwith DJCAD Reception opening hours (Monday - Friday 9.00am - 4.45pm), members of the library are advised to obtain a Visitor Pass from Main Library. Further information. When the College is open, but the library is closed, loans may be returned via a book drop situated outside the library on Level 4 of the Matthew Building.
Robertson Trust Medical Library
24 hour access is controlled by a proximity card secure entry system and is only available to University of Dundee staff and students, and to NHS Tayside members of the library. To have your card enabled, please contact the Medical Library and allow 2 working days (Monday - Friday) for the application to be processed.
Open access for other library users is available Monday - Friday 8.45am - 4.45pm. Outwith these hours, loans may be returned via a book drop situated on Level 8 adjacent to the library entrance.
Fife Campus Library
To access the library after 5.00pm Monday - Thursday you should ring the doorbell on the main entrance door and show your University of Dundee student or staff card to be admitted. External library users should show their University of Dundee Library card and another form of photographic ID.
Gillingham Library, Perth
No known issues.
Can I join?
The Library & Learning Centre at the University of Dundee welcomes applications for membership from all interested persons. Check the table below for entitlement to membership, what proof of status is required, and whether any payment must be made. For other categories of membership see the Library regulations.
Please note that borrowing allowances vary and not all members have access to the full range of electronic resources. See the information on Borrowing and our Walk In Users Service for more information.
|Corporate subscribers||£120.00||One authorised signatory to be responsible for the card|
|Junior subscribers||£5.00||Letter of introduction from school;
must be over 16 and in S5 or S6
|Subscribing members of the public||£40.00||Proof of identity, name and current address|
|NHS Fife Community Health Partnership staff||Free||Proof of identity, name and current address; plus proof of employment by NHS Fife CHP (e.g. contract, current payslip, or official letter of confirmation) for both initial application and renewal|
|NHS Tayside staff||Free||Proof of identity, name and current address; plus proof of employment by NHS Tayside (e.g. contract, current payslip, official letter of confirmation, or current NHS Tayside staff ID card) for both initial application and renewal|
|SCONUL Access scheme members||Free||Current ID/matriculation card from home institition and authorisation email from SCONUL Access|
|University of Dundee graduates||£15.00||Proof of identity, name and current address; plus proof of graduation|
|Abertay University staff and students||Free||Current Abertay ID/matriculation card|
|University of St Andrews staff and students||Free||Current St Andrews ID/matriculation card|
How do I join?
Staff and students of the University don't need to do anything to join the Library: their details are uploaded automatically from Human Resources or Registry. All other potential members should download an application form and take it to one of our libraries together with any proof of status or payment required.