Travel from Edinburgh International Airport
Updated on 3 November 2021
Dundee is approximately 60 miles from Edinburgh International Airport, and can be reached by taxi, train, or bus
Many travel companies are running a reduced service due to the coronavirus pandemic.
There are additional rules when using public transport:
- wear a face covering on all public transport
- respect social distancing, some seats may not be in use
- use contactless or mobile payments where possible
- follow any further instructions from travel companies
Rules or laws in Scotland may differ from those in other parts of the UK.
Due to coronavirus travel restrictions, we are offering entrant International students up to £75 towards a taxi from Scottish airports or Dundee bus or rail stations.
For more information, see our Taxi transfer service guide.
Travel via Edinburgh city centre
Trains and other bus services are available from Edinburgh city centre.
Edinburgh Airport to Edinburgh city centre
- From Edinburgh Airport stance D to Edinburgh city centre (Waverley Bridge)
- every 30 minutes (00:30 – 04:30) then every 20 minutes (04:00 – 23:40)
- tickets £4.50 one way, journey time 30 minutes
- from Airport tram stop to Edinburgh city centre (St Andrew Square)
- every 7-15 minutes between 06:32 and 22:47, 7 days a week
- tickets £6.50 one way, journey time 40 minutes
- buy your ticket from a vending machine on the platform and validate it before travel
- from Edinburgh Airport to Edinburgh city centre
- available from outside the terminal.
- fare approximately £35 depending on the time of day.
Travel to Dundee by bus
- from Edinburgh Bus Station to Dundee Bus Station
- approx hourly between 05:21 and 23:30 (reduced hours at weekends), journey time 2 hours 20 mins.
- single fare from Edinburgh to Dundee is £9
- pay the driver as you board the bus
Travel to Dundee by train
There are regular direct trains from Edinburgh Waverley to Dundee. Edinburgh Waverley is a main station with many facilities, such as places to eat, however you must keep your luggage with you at all times.
Trains run between 05.30 and 23.06 and the journey takes 1 hour and 35 minutes. The cost of a standard single fare from Edinburgh Stations to Dundee is approximately £20. You can buy a ticket from a ticket machine in the station as there are ticket operated barriers to reach the platforms. Tickets will be checked by an inspector on the train who will validate your ticket on-board during the journey.
It can be cheaper to book your train ticket in advance and pick it up at the station using the credit card you used to pay as identification. Some advance tickets are only valid for particular train company services (for example ScotRail or LNER). Please read the details on the ticket website carefully before buying.
There are other stations in Edinburgh called Edinburgh Park and Edinburgh Haymarket. These are local commuter stations and it can be trickier to find the correct train.
Travel to Dundee by taxi
Taxis are available outside the Edinburgh Airport terminal – there is a fixed fare to Dundee which is approximately £82. This option is the quickest, but most expensive method of transport. If there are two or more students travelling together this may provide a cost-effective option.
Visit the airport website if you wish to pre-book a taxi which can be cheaper.
On arrival in Dundee
- taxis are available outside the railway and bus stations
- fare is £5 - £8 to city campus
- let the taxi driver know the name of your accommodation (Belmont, Heathfield, Seabraes, or West Park) as they know the quickest routes to each
- you can also call the taxi company TeleTaxis on: +44 (0)1382 825825 or freephone +44 (0)800 123 4444.