Book an appointment with a Royal Literary Fellow and get help with your academic writing
Updated on 19 September 2023
Book a one-to-one, 50 minute appointment with an academic writing tutor.
Appointments are available from week beginning 11 September 2023
The Royal Literary Fund Fellowship programme provides the University with two Writing Fellows who are professional, published authors. This confidential, free service is available to students and staff across all levels and subjects who live in the UK (see 'Living outside of the UK' below). You can make a one-to-one appointment with one of these writing tutors to help you improve your academic writing.
The writing tutors will help you to:
- develop your academic writing technique and style to better write essays, reports, theses, dissertations, book chapters, etc.
- focus your reading for essay, dissertation, paper or thesis writing
- express your ideas more clearly
- improve your grammar and punctuation
- discover reading to improve your writing and editing skills
They will not:
- offer discipline-specific guidance
- comment on the marking scheme used in your discipline
- undertake English language tuition if English is not your first language
- edit or proofread your assignments
Living outside of the UK
Due to the charitable status of the Royal Literary Fund, its Academic Writing Fellows are only permitted to work with University of Dundee students who are currently living in the UK. If you currently live outside the UK, please make an academic skills appointment and one of our tutors will be happy to support you with your writing.
Book a writing tutor appointment
Appointments are 50 minutes, available during Semesters 1 and 2
- Choose your preferred day then contact the appropriate writing tutor directly from your University of Dundee email address (emails from personal accounts might go into junk folders and be missed).
- Provide details of areas of your writing you would like advice with. Look at any previous feedback you’ve received from your subject tutors to help you with this.
- The tutor will contact you to arrange a suitable time for your appointment.
- The writing tutor will include a link to the RLF Calendy booking system for you to select an online or on-campus option and a day and time for your appointment.
About our RLF writing tutors
Peter Arnott is one of Scotland's best-known playwrights, with many award-winning professional productions of his work starting in 1985 and extending into the present day, both in Scotland and further afield. He has teaching experience at the Universities of Glasgow and Edinburgh and has held workshops elsewhere in the world. He has mentored many new writers for the Playwrights' Studio, Scotland among others. He hopes to bring a playwright's awareness of an audience to his support of academic student writing in Dundee.
Garry MacKenzie is a writer living in Fife. He is the author of the non-fiction book Scotland: A Literary Guide for Travellers (Bloomsbury / I.B. Tauris, 2016) and the poetry collections Ben Dorain: a conversation with a mountain (The Irish Pages Press, 2021) and ring-net (Clutag Press, 2023). Ben Dorain was shortlisted for a Scottish National Book Award and longlisted for the Highland Book Prize. He teaches literature and creative writing in a variety of community and adult-education contexts.
Find out more about the Fellowship Scheme
Academic Skills Centre