Which documents you need to bring depends on your tuition fee status. There are some items everyone needs to bring, and others which only apply if you need a visa to study here.

It is very important you bring original documents and not photocopies

Tier 4 visa holders

  •   Qualification certificates - you need to bring evidence that you have met the entry requirements for your course.
  •   English Language Certificates - for Tier 4 visas
  •   Documents listed on your Certificate of Acceptance of Studies (CAS) - these are under the heading "documents used to assess academic ability"
  •   Your CAS statement (this shows the pre-payments you have made towards tuition fees / accommodation)
  •   CAS statement changes (Receipt or UKVI Screenshot printouts of payments you have made to the University of Dundee after your CAS statement was issued)
  •   Passport with the 30 day vignette sticker
  •   Confirmation of your accommodation address in Dundee
  •   Extra passport photographs (for example for police registration, student discount card) - there are several photobooths in Dundee city centre, including one at DUSA The Union.
  •   Sponsor's letter (if you have one)

Your Biometric Residence Permit BRP (Tier 4)

  •   You will need to collect your BRP card before you go to Matriculation. You will have specified a pickup location during your visa application. For most Dundee students this is Post Office, 30 Whitehall St, Dundee DD1 4AF.

Identity documents - everyone

  •   driving licence, valid passport, or other official photo ID (for UK students: a PASS accredited card such as YoungScot, or for EU students: a national identity card)
  •   Birth certificate (if applicable)
  •   Marriage certificate (if you have one)


  •   any necessary prescription medicines (for students from abroad, check your medicine is legal in the UK)
  •   copy of prescription for glasses or contact lenses (this lets you replace them easily if you break or lose them)
  •   any necessary medical records / letter from your current doctor 


  •   most up-to-date bank statement (not the bank statement used for Visa approval)
  •   your bank sort-code, account number, and contact details (or IBAN (international bank account number) if not a UK account)
  •   your UK national insurance number (if you have one)
  •   any insurance policies

If you're new to the UK

  •   approximately £200 cash and up to £500 on a prepaid Visa / MasterCard for immediate expenses (Travellers cheques are difficult to cash so are best avoided). If you have not yet arranged your accommodation in Dundee, you may want to add more.


  •   bed linen - UK sizes are different than European
  •   towels
  •   coat hangers
  •   clothes - including sportswear
  •   toiletries - bring an overnight bag until you have been to the supermarket
  •   medication and a basic first aid kit
  •   warm clothes - although Dundee avoids extreme winter temperatures, you will still need some warm clothes and waterproofs for the Scottish winter. If you are travelling to Dundee from overseas, it is easier to buy what you need once you arrive (and you will save money on excess baggage). You will be warmer wearing several thin layers of clothing than one thick jumper.
  •   crockery, cutlery, pots, and pans - you will need some of your own, but do not bring too much - kitchen utensils can be bought in Dundee and it is better to wait and see what your flatmates bring before you head to the shops.
  •   Television Licence - you will need a licence if you want to watch TV using a television set or a computer - this includes BBC iPlayer. For further information on TV licensing, see the TV Licensing website.


  •  Your laptop - in addition to the many PCs in our libraries and IT suites, we also have wifi coverage throughout campus to allow you to study wherever necessary.
  •  A mobile device, capable of receiving either calls or text messages - this will allow you to set up multi-factor authentication, a security measure that lets you log into your IT account when you're away from the campus network. More information can be found on our multi-factor authentication guide.
  •  Chargers for all your devices - whether it's your phone charger or an additional portable charger, you won't want to lose charge when you get here.

About electrical equipment

UK power is 230v 50Hz. If your country also uses 220-240v you can use an adapter for your plugs. UK plugs are Type G - a large 3 pin plug. Electrical sockets have switches on them.

If your country uses 110v 60Hz (for example, United States, Canada, or Japan) you must check appliances are suitable for worldwide use. Check the product / power adapter for input: 100v-240v. If your appliance is 110v only you will damage it and you should buy a new product in the UK.


What not to bring

  •   Heaters or candles are not allowed in University accommodation
  •   Too much food - only bring food for the first day, it is easier to buy food at local supermarkets/hypermarkets

Need more help?

Enquiry centre
  +44 (0)1382 381900