Art & Philosophy BA (Hons)
Taught by artists of international standing, this is the only undergraduate course in Scotland that combines Fine Art with Philosophy
Dundee City Campus
Art & Philosophy brings together Fine Art at Duncan of Jordanstone College of Art & Design and Philosophy at the School of Humanities.
You will be taught by artists of international standing and by respected practising philosophers. The Philosophy section of the course will introduce you to advanced philosophical approaches towards contemporary issues in politics, ethics, art, film, literature and the sciences.
You will have the freedom to explore and develop your own interests, at your own pace, building strong foundations for a successful career in the creative industries.
You are free to explore a wide range of mediums using our high quality studio spaces to support your practice. These include:
- sculpture - including clay, plaster, metal, ceramics, and bronze casting
- woodworking - from picture framing to complex sculptural constructions
- printmaking - including etching, screenprint, lithography, and photographic processes
- photography - darkrooms for analogue photography and media labs for digital editing
- film - green screen studio for film and photography
- sound - sound studios
- Digital Makers suite for 3D and laser-cutting
We offer opportunities to exhibit your work as you progress, culminating in our Degree Show in the final year.
Philosophy modules introduce you to advanced philosophical approaches towards contemporary issues within art, ethics, film, literature, technology, and the sciences.
“There was a great mix of both the practicality of art-making, as well as the academic writing and conceptuality behind art. It may seem like a really strange collaboration but you soon learn of the plentiful crossover within the otherwise separate fields. I feel it has really matured my artistic practice.”
Jamie Steedman, Art & Philosophy graduate
Questions? Need help?
Contact our friendly applicant enquiry team
+44 (0)1382 383838