Our Student Ambassadors are the face of the University for our prospective students and their guests.
You will be at the forefront of our engagement with prospective students throughout the year through open days, applicant days and other special events. Along with these major events, you will also be involved in call campaigns, campus visits and recruitment events.
Skills & experience
- Confidence in communicating with a range of audiences
- Gain experience of working with young people
- Improve your employability and enhance your CV
- Develop team working skills, problem-solving skills and social and cultural awareness
- Get training in customer service and event management
- £8.21 per hour for Core, Call and Event Student Ambassadors
- £8.71 per hour for Senior Student Ambassadors
Types of work
Open Days & Applicant Days
Our open days and applicant days give our applicants and prospective students a chance to see our facilities and hear, from you first hand, what the University of Dundee has to offer.
You will be involved in a range of tasks:
- Train Station Stewarding
- Library Tours
- Campus Tours
- Information Points
Regional Recruitment Events
You may be asked to travel with our recruitment staff to chat with prospective students about your course, student life, and Dundee at schools and at UCAS / Higher Education Fairs.
Some of our prospective students can't make it to campus until they start studying. You can be involved in various campaigns allowing you to share your experiences of Dundee over the phone.
Progression and Further Opportunities
We operate a tiered scheme with our group of Student Ambassadors meaning there are more opportunities for you to take part in various work.
Are called upon for major events such as our annual open days and applicant days.
Event Ambassadors will have the opportunity to join the Core Student Ambassador Group at key points in the year.
In addition to the work of Event Ambassadors, Core Ambassadors are offered a variety of work including regular campus tours and events such as school visits.
This group will consist of those Ambassadors who have demonstrated a high level of engagement in the scheme and are looking for a higher level of participation.
Our Senior Student Ambassadors are a cohort of Ambassadors that have a higher level of responsibility and training.
They complete much more work, supporting the Student Recruitment Team, International Engagement Team and Applicant Experience Team with specific tasks and are required to act on a supervisory level for Open Days, Applicant Days and any other events/activities.
Are required to complete peer to peers calls with prospective students and current applicants.
We look for a range of students from various disciplines and nationalities.
It is possible to be both a Call Ambassador and part of the core group.
Essential Skills and Qualities
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- A genuine interest in helping prospective students
- Enthusiasm and commitment towards Dundee and our University
- Empathy and the ability to understand different perspectives based on cultures and experiences
- Upholding a positive and professional representation of the University of Dundee
- Reliable and punctual
- Behaving in a professional manner which is culturally sensitive
Desirable Skills and Qualities
- Previous experience working with the public in a customer service role
- Good knowledge of the University and the City
- Awareness of the UCAS application process and the decisions student make when selecting their place of study
- Troubleshooting and initiative
Student Ambassadors are provided with full training ahead of activity that they are requested to complete.
We would never what you to feel that you didn’t have the knowledge and tools to the job, we want you to feel confident and comfortable in the work you to.
Some training will be compulsory if you wish to participate in particular work eg. events, calls, campus tours. Whilst other training is optional and an opportunity for you to develop as a Student Ambassador.
Dates of availability
Student Ambassadors must be available during the following periods:
March – April
August – October
Clearing and Main Open Days
If you are applying as an international student, you cannot work your BRP limit per week during semester time if you are studying on a Tier 4 Visa. This includes any other employment you may have.
If you don’t have a National Insurance number, you must apply as soon as possible to undertake paid work.
Apply now to become an Event Student Ambassador.
You must be available on both 19 August and 26 August to apply for this position.