This course is designed for international students who have a conditional offer for a degree programme at the University of Dundee which requires you to attend the five-week pre-sessional programme. This 6 week pre-sessional course will raise your English language ability, enhance your academic skills for university study and help you adapt to university life in Scotland.
2 August 2019 - 13 September 2019 for September 2019 start
1 November 2019 - 13 December 2019 for January 2020 start
Dundee is a dynamic, exciting place to live, study and make new friends. The University of Dundee has been ranked No. 1 in Scotland for six years running by the Times Higher Education (THE) Student Experience Survey (2010 - 2015). We have also been ranked No.1 in the UK for English Language Support in the 2014 International Student Barometer.
All our courses are taught by highly qualified, experienced teachers and you will have every opportunity to develop your English language skills so that you can be confident that you are prepared for your degree programme.
The programme is designed to:
- enable students to reach a standard of English consistent with entry to a course of study
- enable students to use a range of the principal skills and practices associated with university study
- enable students to adapt to British university life.
This programme runs for 6 weeks and has two entry dates:
- from August to September for September degree start
- from November to December for January degree start
All applicants undertaking a Pre-Sessional English Language Programme or a Foundation Programme at the University of Dundee have to undertake an IELTS test at a UKVI approved SELTS centre.
Applicants (aged 18 or over on the start date of their course) can only apply for the IELTS for UKVI English test (IELTS Academic Test only), not the other IELTS tests available. This IELTS Academic certificate will provide you with the Unique UKVI Reference No. required for when you apply for your Visa.
The programme is designed to:
- Improve your Academic English proficiency in a university context.
- Introduce you to British University life
- Allow you to meet the English language entry requirements for your degree programme.
Prospective Undergraduate and Postgraduate students study together on this course.
The programme consists of the following components:
- Academic Writing
- Presentation and Seminar skills
- Listening and note-taking
- Academic Reading
As you progress through the course, there will be a focus on subject-related work in your chosen field of study. The course has 20 hours contact time each week, plus additional independent learning tasks to encourage you to apply what you have been taught in the class.
Methods of assessment
The programme is assessed through a combination of coursework, examinations, and oral presentations.
Class size will be a maximum of 15.
Once successfully completing this course you will be ready to progress onto the course you applied for.
You will need to have a conditional offer for a degree programme at the University of Dundee, which requires you to attend the 6 week pre-sessional course.
You will also need a UKVI IELTS score of no more than 0.5 below the overall score requested for your degree and no more than 0.5 below in all skills.
|Fee category||Fees for students starting 2019/20|
|Overseas students (non-EU)||£1,890|
Your tuition fee includes:
- All course materials
- Free email and internet access
- Access to university facilities and services. This does not include use of the University’s Sports Centre
- All day-long excursions (excluding meals). You may be asked to pay for your bus fare on the optional excursions to local places of interest.
You may incur additional costs in the course of your education at the University over and above tuition fees in an academic year.
Examples of additional costs:
|One off cost||Ongoing cost||Incidental cost|
|Graduation fee||Studio fee||Field trips|
*these are examples only and are not exhaustive.
- may be mandatory or optional expenses
- may be one off, ongoing or incidental charges and certain costs may be payable annually for each year of your programme of study
- vary depending on your programme of study
- are payable by you and are non-refundable and non-transferable
Unfortunately, failure to pay additional costs may result in limitations on your student experience.
For additional costs specific to your course please speak to our Enquiry Team.
|Apply now||Pre-Sessional 6 Weeks||August 2019|
|Apply now||Pre-Sessional 6 Weeks||November 2019|