Within the School of Social Sciences, our town and regional planning academics join our architecture academics in sharing an ethos based upon Geddesian dialogues between theory and practice, localism and the international, the synoptic view and specialism. To read more, please visit our Architecture and Urban Planning research pages.
Current research includes work on the following:
- zero carbon building and energy networks
- the environmental performance of buildings
- the environmental assessment of regions
- planning, sustainable place-making and community engagement
- social mobilities and spatial inequalities
- urban culture and society
- urban theory, history and subjectivities
- building design in the landscape
You should have an honours degree at 2.1 or above, and/or a Masters degree in a relevant discipline.
English Language Requirement: IELTS of 6.5 overall, with no less than 6.0 in the written component and no less than 5.5 in any other component, if your first language is not English. Please check our Language Requirements page for details of equivalent grades from other test providers, and information about the University of Dundee English Language courses.
English language pre-sessional programmes
We offer pre-sessional programmes which are designed to prepare you for university study, the 24 week and 10 week programmes provide additional English language tuition for students who do not meet our minimum English language requirements by up to 1.0 IELTS and 0.5 IELTS respectively. Successful completion of these programmes guarantees progression to various degrees at the University of Dundee as long as you hold a relevant offer.
Applying for a research degree
Use UCAS Postgraduate to apply for a research degree. Please read the guidance on filling in your UCAS Postgraduate application before proceeding with your application.
- PhD in Town and Regional Planning
- Non-graduating research in Environment (6 months or more)
- Non-graduating research in Environment (less than 6 months)
Dr Sophie Rigney
Director of Doctoral Studies,