Within the School of Social Sciences, our town and regional planning academics join our architecture academics in sharing an ethos based upon Geddesian dialogues between theory and practice, localism and the international, the synoptic view and specialism. To read more, please visit our Architecture and Urban Planning research pages.
Current research includes work on the following:
- zero carbon building and energy networks
- the environmental performance of buildings
- the environmental assessment of regions
- planning, sustainable place-making and community engagement
- social mobilities and spatial inequalities
- urban culture and society
- urban theory, history and subjectivities
- building design in the landscape
You should have an honours degree at 2.1 or above, and/or a Masters degree in a relevant discipline.
English language requirements
You do not need to prove your knowledge of English if you are a national of certain countries.
Don't meet the English language requirements?
English language programmes
Prepare for university study and benefit from extra English tuition with an English language programme.
Applying for a research degree
Use UCAS Postgraduate to apply for a research degree. Please read the guidance on filling in your UCAS Postgraduate application before proceeding with your application.
- PhD in Town and Regional Planning
- Non-graduating research in Environment (6 months or more)
- Non-graduating research in Environment (less than 6 months)
Dr Janet Liao
Director of Doctoral Studies
+44 (0)1382 384928
You should have an honours degree at 2.1 or above, and a Masters degree in a relevant discipline.