Politics and international relations academics at Dundee have particular strength in international politics and are part of the wider School of Social Sciences. To read more, please visit our Politics and International Relations research pages.
Our research interests include:
- peace and security in international relations
- international relations theory and international and supranational organisations
- European Union politics
- the impact of processes of European Integration and globalisation on parties of the European Left
- terrorism, counter-terrorism, and policing
- asylum, migration and borders
- human rights
- sexual politics
- public policy decision making relating to protection of citizens
- the global drugs problem and related policies
- law enforcement strategies
- democratic consolidation
- regional and local politics in Russia
- Irish politics
- Sub-Saharan African politics: liberation movements, nationalism, the 'invention' of traditions, post-colonial governance
- Middle Eastern politics
Current research topics include:
- Responding to human rights abuses during conflict in Africa Human rights and foreign policy - the case of Scotland The international drug control regime – can it survive in its present form?
- European drug policies and the prevention of mortality from illicit drug use EU-China and UK-China relations post-Brexit The EU-US-China strategic triangle in the 21st Century
You should have an honours degree at 2.1 or above, and a Masters degree in a relevant discipline.
English language requirements
Applying for a research degree
Use UCAS Postgraduate to apply for a research degree. Please read the guidance on filling in your UCAS Postgraduate application before proceeding with your application.
You do not need to prove your knowledge of English if you are a national of certain countries.
Don't meet the English language requirements?
English language programmes
Prepare for university study and benefit from extra English tuition with an English language programme.
- PhD Politics & International Relations
- Politics & International Relations (PhD 4 year programme)
- Politics & International Relations (Part-time)
Dr Janet Liao
Director of Doctoral Studies
+44 (0)1382 384928