The Leverhulme Research Centre for Forensic Science is designed to disrupt positively the forensic science ecosystem. Our aims are broad and wide, striving to restore, revise and recharge the validity and credibility of the science in our court rooms.
Forensic science is the application of science within the forum of the court, however there has been a growing concern that the science underpinning some of the forensic evidence lacks a robust foundation. The work undertaken by LRCFS aims to highlight and address the scientific deficiencies where they exist, and to develop new knowledge and innovative solutions to the challenges forensic science and the Criminal Justice system is facing into the future.
We have brought together an interdisciplinary team of scientists and non-scientists to develop innovative ways of looking at the challenges facing forensic evidence as it is currently used within our courts.
Our current research areas include:
- Transfer and persistence of evidence
- The future of DNA analysis
- Education and training in forensic science
- Enhancing the detection of illicit drugs, explosives and bodily fluids
- Capturing, communicating and collaborating with Virtual Reality in forensic science
- Generating information about the background abundance of materials.
Full details of our current research projects can be found on the Leverhulme Research Centre's web pages
You should have an honours degree at 2.1 or above, and/or a Masters degree in a relevant discipline.
English language requirements
You do not need to prove your knowledge of English if you are a national of certain countries.
Don't meet the English language requirements?
English language programmes
Prepare for university study and benefit from extra English tuition with an English language programme.
Applying for a research degree
Use UCAS Postgraduate to apply for a research degree. Please read the guidance on filling in your UCAS Postgraduate application before proceeding with your application.
- Leverhulme Research Centre for Forensic Science (PhD 3 Year)
- MSc (Research) Leverhulme Research Centre for Forensic Science
Professor Niamh Nic Daeid
+44 (0)1382 384560