If you own or rent the property you live in you need to register for Council Tax.

Most full-time students are exempt from paying Council Tax.  If all adults in a property are students, then the property as a whole will be exempt from Council Tax. Where a student resides with a non-student adult, a Council Tax charge will apply. The student is not normally liable to pay Council Tax.

When does my exemption start?

Student Property Exemption is generally applied from the start of your course. Please refer to the Academic Calendar for information on official start dates.

Graduating Students

Graduating students stop being classed as students after their final exam and not on the date of their graduation. 

Students who graduate and start a postgraduate course in the September of the same calendar year do not retain their student status for the months between graduation and commencing their postgraduate studies in the new academic year.

How do I apply for Council Tax discount/ exemption?

You need to submit an application for discount or exemption (this does NOT happen automatically). 

For students not resident in University accommodation, we provide your details to local councils (Dundee, Angus, Perth and Fife) to allow the appropriate exemption to be claimed. These lists are produced after the start of each semester. Once you submit an application for discount or exemption, the council will use the list to verify your student status and your course dates.

Apply for a discount or exemption.

For those students who commence studies out-with standard semester dates, you will need to request a Council Tax Exemption Certificate.  This service is automatically provided for all eligible students UNLESS a student indicates they do not wish to claim exemption from the payment of Council Tax.  If you do not intend to claim the exemption you should confirm this by ticking the 'opt out' box on the matriculation schedule.  Those students whose semester address is elsewhere should contact their local authority for the appropriate form and submit it to the Registry for confirmation. 

How do I request an Exemption Certificate?

If you are a matriculated current student, you can print out a confirmation letter which certifies details about your status as a student at the University of Dundee through eVision. Click "Students" on the left hand navigation menu and then choose "Certificate of matriculation letter" from Student Resources. Please check your Permanent and Semester addresses are correct before printing.

Do I qualify for exemption?

In order to qualify for exemption you need to be studying a programme of study that lasts for more than 24 weeks in the academic year and your tuition should amount to 21 or more hours per week. 

The University of Dundee's academic year lasts for 30 weeks. A full-time student studies 120 credits in a year which equates to 1200 hours of notional student effort or 40 hours per week.

All full-time registered students at the University of Dundee will normally qualify for exemption. Students on full-time programmes of study who are required to repeat modules on a part-time basis can also qualify for exemption if the part-time study follows directly on from full-time study with no break in attendance. Please note that if you are a final year student, you may only be eligible for exemption until the last day of teaching which will often be earlier than the date shown on your matriculation card or certification letter. You will become liable for council tax after this date. Please check with your local Council tax office.

Part-time students may also be eligible if they are studying more than 60 credits over the full academic year. Students studying 60 credits or less will definitely not be eligible for exemption. 

Postgraduate research students who are in their writing up year can qualify for exemption from Council Tax if they are writing up over the full academic year. 

If you are in any doubt whether you are liable for Council Tax or whether the property you live in may be eligible for exemption or a discount please contact your local Council Tax Office.