5th October start date: we are working on finding out when your first loan instalment will occur. Please refer to our Coronavirus webpage for up-to-date advice and guidance.

Funding your Postgraduate studies can come in a number of ways.

The most obvious is to apply to the funding body you received your undergraduate funding from.

Scottish Students

Changes were announced to the funding arrangements for eligible Scottish domiciled students undertaking postgraduate study from 2017/18 onwards.

  • The introduction of a universal student loan entitlement of £10,000 for all eligible one-year full-time taught postgraduate students. This comprises of a tuition fee loan up to £5,500 and a non-income assessed living cost loan of £4,500.
  • The funding package is being extended to include eligible students on taught Masters programmes. Previously, funding was limited to a certain number of Diploma courses.
  • The Postgraduate funding package was widened from academic year 2018/19 to include students commencing eligible 'taught' Pg Diplomas and Masters courses delivered via distance learning.
  • There will no longer be a limit on the number of funded places available to Scottish domiciled students studying an eligible course in the rest of the UK. The current arrangements will still apply with funding offered as long as the course is not available in Scotland.

Funding is only available to students undertaking taught postgraduate programmes at publicly funded institutions. Further information can be found in this guide to Postgraduate funding 2020/21 document provided by SAAS.

Tuition Fee Loans will be provided for full-time EU students undertaking a postgraduate course commencing in 2018/19 and part-time students starting a course taken over two years.

There are no changes to the current loan repayment arrangements. Postgraduate loans will be added to a student's existing undergraduate loan and repaid as a single loan balance.

You can apply now to SAAS for 2020/21 funding, and applications for Postgraduate study are made online. If you require any further advice, please contact SAAS on 0300 555 0505.

Apply online to SAAS by 30th June and they will guarantee that your funding is in place for the start of your year.‌

For information on the SSSC funding the MSc Social Work - see our Alternative Funding page.

English Students

Postgraduate loans have been available for English domiciled students from 2016/17 onwards.

  • You can get up to £10,609 which is paid directly to you as a contribution towards your course and living costs.
  • It is not based on your household income (as the undergraduate one is).
  • If you are studying over 2 years, you'll get half in your first year, and the remainder in your second year.
  • Each year's amount will be paid in instalments of 33%, 33% and 34%.
  • You get the first payment after your course start date, once the university has confirmed that you've registered.
  • This means you will have to make an arrangement with our Finance Department to pay your Tuition Fees.
  • The Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) may take account of the loan when working out any benefits you receive.

You can find out more information and guidance on applying for this loan on the SFE YouTube account.

Postgraduate Doctoral Loans of up to £25,000 are now available for SFE funded students wanting to fund a doctoral degree after 1st August 2018.  This loan will help with course fees and living costs. It is not based on your family's income and will divided equally across each year of your course and will be paid directly to you in the usual way. Check out this video for more information.

Alternative Funding

Please see our Alternative Funding page where you will find links to searches that are available for students undertaking postgraduate study, as well as further information about how to fund the MSc in Social Work if you are a Scottish student.