Charities, trust funds, bursaries and scholarships are alternative sources of funding which might be available to you. You can use these webpages to search for funding:

Carnegie Vacation Scholarships

The Vacation Scholarship Scheme is intended for Scottish students undertaking an undergraduate degree course at a Scottish university, who have shown exceptional merit at university, and who would like to devote some portion of the long vacation to undertake a programme of independent research of direct benefit to their academic work. More information and how you can apply here.

Commercial credit

This is advance notification that the Professional and Career Development Loans will close to new borrowers next year. The final date for students to submit applications, including top ups to any existing loans, will be Friday, 25 January 2019.  The learner must start the course by 24 March 2019.

Existing borrowers will not be affected. They will continue to receive a full service from the Bank during study and repayment.

Commercial credit may be your only option to fund a course, particularly at postgraduate level, but read above as this scheme is to finish in academic year 2018/19.

We are a Professional and Career Development Loans registered Learning Provider, registration number 3313.

A Professional and Career Development Loan is a commercial bank loan that you can use to help pay for work-related learning.

For further information on financial assistance to support your learning

Scottish Social Services Council-funding for MSc Social Work

Postgraduate Bursaries are available for nominated and eligible students studying the MSc Social Work at the following Universities: The University of Dundee, The University of Edinburgh, Glasgow Caledonian University, The University of Strathclyde, The Robert Gordon University, The University of Stirling and The University of the West of Scotland.

Funding is limited and subject to a quota. Students must be nominated by the University. Nominations are at the School of Education and Social Work's discretion. There is no guarantee that the University will nominate a student for a Bursary and there may be more students than quota places. Please contact the School of Education and Social Work about nominations.

The School of Education and Social Work will send lists of nominated students to the SSSC. Those students will be invited to apply. Nomination does not guarantee eligibility for funding. Students will be assessed for residence eligibility (eg. ordinarily resident in Scotland), previous funding received and if eligible, entitlement. 

Please see the attached documents for your information:

The Bursary consists of:

  • Tuition fees (please note that the maximum amount may not cover the full fee). The portion of fees is paid directly to the  University on the student’s behalf. Any additional Tuition Fee amount will need to be paid by the student-you will be able to negotiate payment of this with our Sales Ledger department once you matriculate.
  • Means-tested grant and means-tested allowances (connected to dependants in the family). The Means-tested grant is assessed using students’ unearned income; husband’s/wife's/civil partner’s income; or if a student is under 25 on the relevant date, the SSSC will take into account parental income.
  • Placement Travel Expenses: all eligible students will receive £500 towards travel during their Practice Placement.

The minimum an eligible student could be awarded each year are the Tuition Fees and Placement Travel Expenses. 

As a guide: if they are nominated and eligible, a single person over 25, living in their own home, could be awarded (in 2018/19) a Means-tested grant of around £3949.00 per annum; £500 Placement Travel Expenses and the Tuition Fees. 

Also, note that if you have studied a Postgraduate course previously and received public funding for this, the SSSC will require further information if you are nominated, as this may also affect your eligibility. 

The Bursary is dependant on your registration with the SSSC Registry. In any case, if you have received an offer of a place on the MSc Social Work course in Scotland you must apply for registration as your course also depends on this. Please contact the SSSC Registry at or call 0345 6030891 for further information.

If you are not nominated or eligible for a Bursary you could seek funding information at the following organisations:


- Student Awards Agency for Scotland (SAAS).

Note: they do not support the MSc Social Work via loan or grant but please check for further funding information as they are the main funding body in Scotland.

- Skills Development Scotland (ITA)

UK wide:

- Professional Career Development Loan (see Commercial Credit above) – Call National Careers service 0800 100 900;

- Prospects

Other UK:

- NHS Business Services Authority (England) - 08456 101122;

- Skills for Care (England);

- Social Care Wales - 0300 30 33 444;

- Northern Ireland Social Care Council;

- Student Finance Northern Ireland