University of Dundee is committed to supporting students who have caring responsibilities to ensure that you receive the help you need in order to have a successful university experience.

Many students combine their university studies with caring responsibilities. The University defines a carer as someone who looks after another person on an unpaid basis who otherwise could not manage on their own. This might be because they have a long term physical or mental illness, a disability, are getting older or are dependent on drugs or alcohol. 

This is not the same as looking after children – if you have children in your care please see our page for students with children

You may have started university knowing that you would be caring for somebody, however for some, this may be a role you've taken on unexpectedly part way through your studies.

Whatever your situation, it's important to let the University know, so that we can ensure you have access to all the right support; personal, academic and financial. You can notify the University of your caring responsibilities by contacting The Enquiry Centre to speak with a Student Support Advisor or by completing this [online form]

We also recommend that you speak to your Personal Tutor/Study Advisor or Programme Leader about your circumstances, so that they're able to offer support and discuss any adjustments or flexibility that you might need in relation to your studies.

Applying to the University of Dundee 

When you are applying for a place at University of Dundee you will be asked to indicate if you have caring responsibilities in communications your receive from the university. We would encourage you to do so, which allows us to contact you to ensure you receive the support and advice which will assist you during your student journey.  

If you would like to visit the University for a tour and talk to current students, or if you have any questions about your application please contact John Blicharski the university’s Wider Access and Participation Manager.

We would be happy to meet you and give you information about what it's like to study at University of Dundee and the support available.  We can show you around the department you're interested in applying to, so that you get acquainted with the university before you start.

Even if you're not ready to apply to university yet, feel free to get in touch for advice about your options.  For example, we can offer guidance when choosing school subjects as early as S3, or on range of access courses

You can contact our Student Funding unit prior to applying to discuss the financial support available to you to whilst studying.

University Support

We have a range of support services  that are here to help you. The University provides a range of support for students with caring responsibilities which is in addition to the usual student support provided for students in general.

Named Support Contact

Joan Muszynski (Student Support Advisor) is the university’s named support contact for all students with caring responsibilities who are studying at University of Dundee.  Whether or not you have ticked the care leaver box on the UCAS form you can contact her by email  or phone her Tel. 01382 384932. It is her role to

  • Provide regular catch – ups, sustained support and impartial advice throughout your time at University.
  • Help you access support from services available across the University or externally.
  • Be YOUR personal support contact

Student Funding Team

The Student Funding unit provides information, guidance and advice to both current and prospective students. We have a range of financial support for undergraduates. Financial support may also be available through the University's HEI Discretionary and Childcare Fund. All students with caring responsibilities studying at the University are offered a personal financial review which will ensure that you access all the funding to which you are entitled. You can also ask for a personal budgeting session or financial coaching. For further information please contact us by email  or phone Tel. 01382 384801

Peer Connections

All students at University of Dundee have access to buddy/mentor support through the Peer Connections Scheme. Peer Connectors are current University of Dundee students who have volunteered to be a peer mentor/ buddy i.e. a student who has been trained as a mentor, to give support as part of the university’s welcoming, mentoring and buddying scheme.

They can support you with many issues you may have at the university, ensuring you are signposted to the staff and services that can help. They are there to give ideas, support, information, and to listen.  You can also to talk to buddy/ mentors by email before you commence your studies to help ease the transition. For further information please contact them by email.

Academic Support

The Academic Skills Centre within CASTLE  provides students with support for their academic development in areas such as academic writing, study skills, time management and digital literacies.

Other Student Support Services

University of Dundee is very proud of its reputation for its great student experience, for being supportive, caring and helpful, but being at university and having caring responsibilities can still be a bit daunting.

Counselling Service: provides a confidential and easily accessible counselling service to help students work through all kinds of difficulties.  Some common issues include stress, low mood, poor self-esteem, relationship problems and settling in at university.

Disability Services: provides information, support and advice to disabled students so that they care able to access their programme of study and participate in university life.

Health Service: provides a range of health related advice and services for staff and students.

Other Useful Information and Resources

  • Dundee Carers Centre practical and emotional support, advocacy and training plus information about Short Breaks and Self-directed Support for unpaid carers in Dundee.
  • Fife Carers Centre a range of support for unpaid carers in Fife
  • Angus Carers Centre a range of support for unpaid carers in Angus
  • Perth Carers Hub (PKAVS) a range of support for unpaid carers in Perthshire
  • Upbeet  - project to provide help young adult carers in Dundee aged 15-30 years access confidential information and support.
  • Carers’ Trust – help and advice