The University is committed to supporting Estranged Students. Our definition of an Estranged Student is "someone who no longer has the support of their family due to a breakdown in their relationship which has led to ceased contact. This might mean biological or adoptive parents or wider family members who have been responsible for supporting a student in the past.

We provide a range of personal and financial support to help you with the challenges of studying in these circumstances.

Applying to the University of Dundee

When you are applying for a place at the University of Dundee you can let us know that you are estranged in the communications you receive from the University. We would encourage to do so, which allows us to contact you to ensure you receive the support and advice during your student journey.

If you would like to visit the University for a tour and a talk with current students , or if you have any questions about your application please contact John Blicharski, the University’s Wider Access and Participation Manager.

We would be happy to meet you and give you information about what it’s like to study at the University of Dundee and the support available. We can show you around the department you’re interested in applying to, so that you can get acquainted with the University before you start.

Even if you’re not ready to apply to university yet, feel free to get in touch for advice about your options. For example we can offer guidance about entry requirements or on a range of access courses.

You can contact our Student Funding unit prior to applying to discuss the financial support available to you whilst studying.

University Support

We have a range of support services here to help you. The University also provides a range of support for Estranged Students which is in addition to the usual student support provided for students in general.

Named Support Contact

Joan Muszynski (Student Support Advisor) is the University’s support contact for all Estranged Students who are studying at University of Dundee. Whether you have notified us during the admissions period or become estranged later in your university journey you can contact her by email or phone her on 01382 384932. It is her role to:

  • provide regular catch – ups, sustained support and impartial advice throughout your time at University
  • help you access support from services available across the University or externally
  • be YOUR personal support contact

Student Funding Unit

We have a range of financial support for undergraduates. We understand that being an Estranged Student may mean that you may experience more financial challenges. Financial support may be available through the University's HEI Discretionary Fund. The Student Funding Unit can also help you to access, or give information about other sources of funding. For further information, please contact us by email.

All Estranged Students studying at the University are offered a personal financial review which will ensure that you access all the funding to which you are entitled. You can also ask for a personal budgeting session or financial coaching.

Sources of support

Other Useful Information for Estranged Students