The University of Dundee is committed to supporting students from a care experienced background to ensure that you receive the help you need in order to have a successful university experience.

The University would like to encourage more university applications from care leavers and anyone who has been or is cared for by a local authority; this could be in residential care, foster care, cared for by friends or relatives or in local authority care at home.

Corporate Parenting

University of Dundee Corporate Parent Plan 2019-21

University of Dundee Corporate Parenting Report March 2018

University of Dundee Corporate Parenting Policy

Applying to the University of Dundee

When you are applying for a place at the University of Dundee you will be asked to indicate if you have been in care on your UCAS form and also in communications you receive from the University. We would encourage you to do so, which allows us to contact you to ensure you receive the support and advice which will assist you during your student journey.  

If you would like to visit the University for a tour and talk to current students, or if you have any questions about your application please contact Lauran Durandthe University’s Undergraduate and Applicant Experience Manager.

We would be happy to meet you and give you information about what it's like to study at the University of Dundee and the support available.  We can show you around the department you're interested in applying to, so that you get acquainted with the University before you start.

Even if you're not ready to apply to university yet, feel free to get in touch for advice about your options.  For example, we can offer guidance when choosing school subjects as early as S3, or on a range of access courses.

You can contact our Student Funding unit prior to applying to discuss the financial support available to you to whilst studying.


As a care leaver you are eligible to access 365 day accommodation in University residences – you must apply before the deadline given each year. You can speak to our residences team by email 

University Support

We have a range of support services here to help you. The University also provides a range of support for care experienced students which is in addition to the usual student support provided for students in general.

Named Support Contact

Joan Muszynski (Student Support Advisor) is the University’s named support contact for all care-experienced students who are studying at University of Dundee.  Whether or not you have ticked the care leaver box on the UCAS form you can contact her by email or phone her on 01382 384932. It is her role to

  • Provide regular catch–ups, sustained support and impartial advice throughout your time at University.
  • To act as a link between your local authority, you and the University.
  • Help you access support from services available across the University or externally.
  • Be YOUR personal support contact

Sources of support

Other Useful Information for Care Leaver Students