Join us for a range of Awareness Days and Events throughout February and March
- UoD LGBT+ History Month - The University of Dundee is proud to be taking part in LGBT+ History Month from 1-28 February 2021. We're running social events in collaboration between our students, staff, and DUSA. Come along, listen in, and take part as much as you like. We want to use the opportunity to build new friendships and alliances across the University, and to really listen to what you think. Together, we can make the University a better place.
- Library in your Livingroom - Our sessions will be covering common challenges being faced in using library resources remotely.
Join us on Blackboard Collaborate Tuesdays and Thursday 12.30-1pm throughout February.
- National Student Money Week (NSMW) is an annual campaign where universities work together to bring free money advice specifically catered for you as a student across the UK and takes place through the whole month of February on the theme of 'Expect the unexpected – financial planning for a rainy day'.
Join us for live financial planning webinars, a 3-day email learning bootcamp (where you can win amazing prizes), access our e-book, and get top 5 rainy day tips.
- Money Advice Service Scotland are also echoing the NSMW theme and are providing a series of webinars covering some key aspects of personal finance that will be useful to you as a student.
Monday 1 February
- Building Confidence - A workshop organised by OPD providing tips and techniques to help you build your confidence.
Thursday 4 February
- Time to Talk Day - Time To Talk Day brings the nation together to get talking and break the silence around mental health problems. Organise a coffee break with a workmate or friend on Teams and take time to talk.
- Guided Meditation: De-stressing and finding calmness - Learn how guided meditation can bring you to a state of calmness and clear focus. A workshop run by OPD.
Friday 5 February
- World Nutella Day - Who knew such a day existed?! Treat yourself to some Nutella and create some of these amazing recipes to share with your household.
- Yoga At Your Desk - You will learn some simple seated stretches and twists to help ease back, neck and hip pain. A workshop run by OPD.
Sunday 7 February
- National Send a Card to a Friend Day - Let a friend or family member know you are thinking of them get crafty, make a card and send it on to make them smile. Check out Pinterest for ideas.
Monday 8 February - Friday 12 February
- Student Volunteering Week - Find out more about the different ways you can volunteer and the local volunteering opportunities available to you through a series of virtual sessions delivered by organisation reps, fellow students and careers advisers.
Tuesday 9 February
- Safer Internet Day - In the spirit of Safer Internet Day, UoD IT have also provided information on using digital technology mindfully.
- Working from Home with Children: Self-Care for Parents - This session is being run to create a space for parents to share ideas about managing family and work, self-care for parents and to create a bit of time for you in a world that can often feel very busy. A workshop run by OPD.
Wednesday 10 February
- Meditation and Mindfulness - This session will offer a number of different meditations as well as some mindfulness tips that can help with your daily work and personal life. A workshop run by OPD.
Thursday 11 February
- CreateSpace Events: Anyone can draw! We will prove everybody can draw and develop their own unique style in this session. Spaces can booked via the CreateSpace Events page.
Monday 15 February
- Love Tea Party - We can’t hold our annual Love Tea Party in the Enquiry Centre but would love you to organise a mate date with a colleague or friend online, have a cuppa and a cake and have a lovely break.
Monday 15 - Friday 19 February
- Toxic Shock Awareness - Online campaign run by Megan a student Community Education working in Student Funding Unit involving DUSA and the Period Poverty Society. Toxic Shock Syndrome is an important issue, and we want to raise awareness!" Do you want to test your knowledge on Toxic Shock Syndrome? Take part in this quick quiz to see how much you know!"
Wednesday 17 February
- National Random Act of Kindness Day - Who doesn’t love a feel-good RAOK? The Random Acts of Kindness Foundation has lots of ideas to share.
- DUSA Virtual Pet Therapy - Join us at 15:00 - 16:00. See DUSA events page for booking information.
- Guided Meditation: Giving yourself permission to relax - Learn how guided meditation can help you introduce a regular time in your schedule to feel relaxed. A workshop run by OPD
Friday 19 February
- House of Four Rooms: Wellbeing Tool - run by OPD
- Staying well and being productive (while social distancing) - run by OPD
Tuesday 23 February
- National Banana Bread Day - The staple of lockdown 1! Have your own version of the GBBO with Mary Berry's recipe.
Wednesday 24 February
- Guided Meditation: Opening to the future - run by OPD
Thursday 25 February
- Enhancing Your Resilience: Understanding and Coping with Stress - run by OPD
- Working from Home Wellbeing - run by OPD
- CreateSpace Events: Visible mending - Turn your tears into a work of art in this session looking at how with a little bit of creativity your clothing repairs can become a feature. Spaces can booked via the CreateSpace Events page.
- Chaplaincy series - One People: Many Philosophies - Professor A.C. Grayling will give a talk entitled Humanism.
Friday 26 February
- Purple Friday - Wear something purple to show your support for LGBT equality and tweet your photo to the Purple Map using #PurpleFriday #Dundee. A Purple Friday Participation Guide is also available.
- National Bed Month - Throughout March it’s National Bed Month, time for a lie-in before learning about the importance of a good night’s sleep! Organised by The Sleep Council, the month aims to remind us all why a sound sleep is good for our health.
- Dundee Women's Festival - On March 8th International Women’s Day is celebrated all over the world, to recognise women’s rights, their qualities and their achievements. Twenty-seven countries have a public holiday. Here in Dundee, we are doing even better – we are holding a two-week-long festival!
Monday 1 - Saturday 6 March
Thursday 4 March
Thursday 4 March is University Mental Health Day.
- University Mental Health Day - University Mental Health Day brings together the university community to make mental health a university-wide priority and create ongoing year-round change to the future of student mental health.
- Student Services are offering some online and in person activities for staff and students to participate in:
- 10:00am till 16:00 - We are hosting a series of short online sessions including yoga, poetry, an express Bollywood class and a Connect Social hosted by the University Peer Connectors and the Welfare Champions. Welfare Champions are trained student volunteers assigned to their respective Schools who are happy to listen to any concerns you have and signpost you to support for all matters related to student welfare.
- 11:00 till 13:00 - outside the Enquiry Centre we will be giving away care packs to those staff and students who are on campus.
- 12:30 till 13:00 - Chaplaincy are running an Elevate meditation session online via Zoom. The meditation is designed to uplift spirits and provide a space for meaningful conversations. The meeting ID is 914 412 991 and the Passcode is 037045.
Monday 8 March
Thursday 11 March
- CreateSpace Events: Subversive stitches - Be inspired to use cross stitch and embroidery to promote the messages your care about.
Friday 12 March
- National Plant a Flower Day - Find information about Dundee’s Botanic Garden which is open during Lockdown. Details on how to visit can be found on their site. You can also join the fight to save our bees by dropping a seed bomb into areas that need brightening up. Further information can be found via Kabloom.
Thursday 25 March
- CreateSpace Events: Knitting for Newbies - Learn the basics needed to get started with knitting and how to get involved with the active knitting community.
Walks at Kirkcaldy Campus
These are not guided so please wear sensible shoes and suitable outdoor clothing
Walks around Dundee
These are not guided so please wear sensible shoes and suitable outdoor clothing
- Dundee Discoveries - Past and Present
A series of self-guided walking tours through pioneering scientific research in medicine, biology, forensics, nursing and dentistry from the past to the present
- Dundee's Global Trail
will take you on intriguing historic Voyage of Discovery highlighting the extraordinary locations which make connections between Dundee and the rest of the world. While you explore the inner city of modern-day Dundee this unusual walking Trail will make the hour you spend a time of interesting discoveries in the City of Discovery. Simply match the numbers on the local map to the countries on the global map.
- Dundee Heritage Walk
Take a walk through Dundee’s past and experience our rich and diverse culture. There are five routes to choose from – go on, walk the walks, learn, explore and most of all enjoy.
- Dundee Literary Trail
Print the map, hit the pavement and discover Dundee's literary past and present.
- Dundee Women's Trail
The Dundee Women’s Trail celebrates just a few amazing women whose lives touched this city. Around Dundee, there is a trail of 25 plaques to commemorate remarkable Dundee women.
- Health Walk Cards
The cards feature walks from all across Dundee and has maps and written directions, along with some points of interest to look out for along the way. The walks are generally between 15 minutes and 1 hour long, with a few longer and shorter ones.
- DUSA Societies A-Z
- Organisational and Professional Development (OPD) - As many of us are working or undertaking professional development from home; OPD have carefully selected some useful resources which you may find helpful to support you during this time. These resources range from supporting your physical and mental health, productivity, support for managers and online professional development options.
- Well Together University Culture Online blog
- Enhance Your Resilience - A workbook also accompanies this.
- The Best Free Virtual Tours of Museums in the World
- Edinburgh Zoo and Highland Wildlife Park Live Cams
- Museum Services online resources
Join us on Teams to explore further ways of connecting such as a Book Group, Podcast Recommendations and a Positive Message Board to share positive messages, memes, quotes that help to boost your mood.