Students of specific nationalities, who are coming to the UK for longer than 6 months, need to register with the Police on arrival. They are also required to report any changes in circumstances.

A table of nationalities required to register is maintained by Police Scotland. This should be checked if you are not sure if you need to register or not.


For those who need to Register

For those who need to, you can register at the Overseas Visitors Registration Office. This is located at 4 West Bell Street, Dundee, DD1 1AD.

To register with the Police you will need to take some important documents with you:

  • Your Passport
  • Your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP card or visa)
  • The registration fee of £34 
  • 2 passport photos
  • Your Home Office decision letter (confirming your successful visa application)
  • Proof of address (usually this will be your tenancy agreement)
  • Your University offer letter
  • A sponsor letter (if applicable)

Once registered, you will receive a certificate containing your details. You should keep this in a safe place for the duration of the time you remain in the UK. If you lose it you will have to pay to replace it!

During matriculation week in September, the University runs an on campus Police registration event. This is to help new students to register upon arrival. This is also a chance for continuing students to update their certificates with any changes in circumstances. Continuing student access to this is limited by availability. If you would like to attend this event, please contact us. To avoid disappointment, this should be done in the 2 weeks before matriculation.

Changes in Circumstance

The following changes of circumstances must be reported to the Police within 7 days. Take the relevant proof of your change of circumstance (eg. new tenancy agreement, BRP card etc.) to the Police station and they will update your registration certificate:

  • New address
  • Any new landing conditions
  • Extensions to your visa granted by the Home Office
  • New passport
  • New study information or change to university/college
  • New employment

Changes must be reported within 7 days, it is very important that you find the time to report the changes as it is a condition of your visa. Failure to register and keep your details up to date with the Police can result in a fine of up to £5000 and 6 months in prison.