Communication underpins all our values
Take personal responsibility for ensuring communication in your sphere is effective.
- Communicate effectively and clearly using appropriate channels.
- A conversation is often better than email.
- Listen well so you can understand before responding.
- Be polite and courteous in all circumstances.
- Praise first before giving constructive feedback.
- Challenge absent or poor communication appropriately and ensure that no one is left out of the loop.
Treat everyone with equal respect, valuing their contribution to the University.
- Make time to listen to, help and support others.
- Be aware that you might have unconscious biases and try to identify and overcome them.
- Be liberal with thanks and praise.
- Recognise and reward achievement.
- Acknowledge the contribution of others towards individual success.
- Recognise and respect differences, actively promoting inclusion.
One Dundee: seek what is best for the wider University community as well as your team.
- Actively seek ways of working together across boundaries to address the University’s key challenges.
- Foster partnership working between students and staff.
- Ensure every member of the University community is included and feels part of the bigger picture.
- Share good practice generously.
- Maintain calm and perspective in stressful situations.
- Counter cynicism by encouraging productive discussion and problem solving.
- Positively challenge divisive behaviour.
Behave ethically and professionally, with the best interests of the University at heart.
- Be open, honest and fair.
- Keep your word and be trustworthy.
- Be accountable for actions and decisions.
- Respect confidentiality when appropriate.
- Be open to challenge without defensiveness and willing to challenge without aggression.
- Have the courage to question actions that are inconsistent with University values.
Making a difference
Remember that our common purpose is to transform lives locally and globally.
- Encourage and support fellow students and colleagues to be transformative.
- Commit to making a real difference through your work, inspiring others with your passion and enthusiasm.
- Focus on working well with others to get results.
- Encourage and enable professional development.
- Embrace change.
Aim to be leading in what you do as we strive to be Scotland’s leading University.
- Nurture creativity and innovation.
- Demonstrate consistently strong personal performance so that others can rely on you.
- Benchmark yourself and your team against the best.
- Gather feedback to improve performance and close feedback loops.
- Provide encouragement and seek support to improve.
- Be honest with yourself and others about performance that is less than excellent.
- Challenge mediocrity and be prepared to take, and accept, difficult decisions in pursuit of excellence.
We welcome questions or feedback from anyone about our strategy, whether you are a student, staff member, member of the public or have another interest in our plan to 2022. Get involved