Strategy to 2022
The University of Dundee is an extraordinary university. In 2017 we marked our 50th anniversary and we did so with plenty to celebrate. We are one of the UK’s top 30 universities (The Times/Sunday Times Good University Guide 2019 and The Guardian University Guide 2019).
Over the past five decades we have pioneered innovations as diverse as flat screen technology and keyhole surgery, had the vision to bring the V&A Museum of Design to Dundee and have worked with partners to help drive the city’s regeneration.
Many of the satellites and spacecraft launched into orbit have circuitry designed and built here, while our translational biomedical research underpins global efforts to tackle cancer, diabetes and tropical diseases that kill millions each year.
Our forensic scientists support the judicial system in a range of specialised activities from mass grave and homicide investigations to the development of new technologies in the war against some of society’s most heinous crimes. From Turner Prize winners to political leaders, activists for social change to captains of industry, our alumni are transforming the world and the way we look at it.
We stimulate debate around Scotland’s constitutional and policy landscape and offer an award-winning, internationally-renowned student experience.
Five year strategy
We are working towards our 25 year vision in five year strategies. To give an indication of what can be achieved in the next five years we need only look at our progress from 2012 to 2017.
- We have improved our position across all of the major university rankings.
- We have increased our income from teaching and broadened our horizons, welcoming students from more countries than ever before.
- We have progressed further than any other Scottish university in widening access to higher education.
- We have improved our student retention and graduate employment and are now among the top institutions in the UK.
- We have been named among Europe’s most innovative universities, reflecting the strength of our research. In the Research Excellence Framework we ranked first in the UK for biological sciences and top for the STEM subjects (Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths) and Art & Design in Scotland.
All of this has taken us significantly towards our goal of becoming Scotland’s leading university. In these next five years we will climb even higher.
“The University of Dundee is a real community”
“I've always felt that the University of Dundee is a real community, from my student days right up until teaching here. When you pick up the phone there's always a friendly person on the other end who is willing to go the extra mile to help you. There are really good connections between the different schools within the university. We're always happy to make these connections and that's really important to get a sense of a university that works together for everybody. I've always felt very much part of a community here.”
Mental Health Nursing Lecturer
We welcome questions or feedback from anyone about our strategy, whether you are a student, staff member, member of the public or have another interest in our plan to 2022. Get involved