Graduation 2019 - our honorary graduands
Published on 3 June 2019
The University of Dundee will honour leading seven leading artists, designers, scientists and educators at its summer Graduations in June
All of those receiving honorary degrees at the ceremonies from June 19 to 21 are either graduates of the University, former staff or have close links through their area of work.
Those who will receive honorary degrees during summer Graduation are:
- Dr Justice Tettey, Chief of the Laboratory and Scientific Section at the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC)
- Professor Alastair MacLennan, one of Britain’s major practitioners in live art and a graduate of Duncan of Jordanstone College of Art & Design
- Hayley Scanlan, Dundee-based fashion designer and businesswoman, and a graduate of Duncan of Jordanstone College of Art & Design
- Dr Francis Smith, a leading scientist in the field of craniofacial biology, its genetics and imaging
- Dr Samantha Budd Haeberlein, Head of Late Stage Clinical Development for Alzheimer’s disease, Dementia Movement Disorders at Biogen, and a graduate of the University of Dundee
- Dr Parag Sancheti, Chairman of the Sancheti Institute for Orthopaedics & Rehabilitation and a graduate of the University of Dundee
- Professor Ronald Harden, Emeritus Professor of Medical Education at the University and one of the foremost scholars, practitioners and international authorities on medical education
Professor Andrew Atherton, Principal and Vice-Chancellor of the University, said, “Our honorary graduands this year are all closely associated with the University. They have either studied at Dundee, worked here, or have worked closely with us. In each case they have achieved great things in their chosen field, and speak to the global impact of the work of the University of Dundee and our wider community.
“I am delighted to welcome them all to our Graduations.”
Graduation takes place at the Caird Hall in Dundee from Wednesday 19 June to Friday 21 June, with two ceremonies each day. Thousands of new graduates will cross the stage over the course of the week, joining one of the major celebrations on the University calendar.
Press Office, University of Dundeepress@dundee.ac.uk