Professor Zhihong Huang
Associate Dean for Internationalisation and Professor of Biomedical Engineering
- Tel: 01382 385477
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Professor Zhihong Huang Associate Dean of International, School of Science and Engineering Academic Lead for China, University of Dundee Fulton Building G16 University of Dundee Nethergate Dundee DD1 4HN
Professor Zhihong Huang was awarded a BEng in Precision Instrumentation from the Tianjin University, China, and later received a PhD in the field in the Department of Mechanical Engineering at University of Glasgow. In 2002, Zhihong joined the University of Dundee as a lecturer in Department of Mechanical Engineering and was subsquently promoted to Senior Lecturer and Professor. She is currently a Professor of Biomedical Engineering and Associate Dean of International in the School of Science and Engineering.
Zhihong's main research interests are in medical ultrasound and photonics, working closely with clinicians and industrial collaborators to maximise research impact and facilitate translation into practice. She utilises acoustics and optics as tools to understand and explore the mechanisms of tissue response, which in turn support new research initiatives on tissue characterization and interventional medical devices.
She leads a wide range of activities incorporating tissue mimicking phantom fabrication; mechanical, acoustic, thermal and optical characterization of tissue; 3D reconstruction of human anatomy and simulation, vibration analysis and robotics.
Uniquely, her group have developed a method to combine ultrasound and photonics to investigate the underlying, common physical mechanisms in three diverse areas: ultrasound and photonics instrumentation for ultrasonic surgical tool design and characterization; sono- and optical- elastography for medical diagnosis; and image guided and robotic assisted interventions.
In collaboration with colleagues in School of Medicine at the University of Dundee, her work has been supported by funding from EPSRC, EU/FP7 and the Scottish Universities Physics Alliance as well as major surgical device companies.
Her teaching responsibilities cover UG degree programmes and TPG degree programmes in Biomedical Engineering and Medical Imaging. Topics range from mechanics and dynamics, vibration analysis, biomaterials and medical ultrasound to research methods.
As the TPG Programme Director, she set up a multidisciplinary collaborative TPG course in Biomedical Engineering and an MSc in Medical Imaging. She leads a cross School programme team, and the development and refinement of course curriculum.
She has also led in other key programmes, which include:
- 3+1+1 (UG/TPG) from 2009
- Study in China programme
- Science and Engineering Summer School
- CSC scholarship programmes
- Detection and characterisation of biopsy tissue using quantitative optical coherence elastogaphy (OCE) in men with suspected prostate cancer, Chunhui Li, Guangying Guan, Yuting Ling, Ying-ting Hsu, Shaozhen Song, Jeffrey T. J. Huang, Stephen Lang, Zhihong Huang and Ghulam Nabi, Cancer Letters, 2015 Feb 1;357(1):121-8.. (IF: 5.016)
- Elastic Properties of Thiel-embalmed Human Ankle Tendon and Ligament, Xiaochun Liao, Sandy Kemp, Roos Eisma, George Corner, Zhihong Huang, Clinical Anatomy, 2014, (IF1.16) accepted in printing.
- High Performance Planar Ultrasonic Tool based on d31-mode Piezocrystal, Sadiq, Muhammad; Kuang, Yang; Cochran, Sandy; Huang, Zhihong, TUFFC (IF 1.82), 06437, 2014
- Shear wave elastography using amplitude-modulated acoustic radiation force and phase-sensitive optical coherence tomography, Thu-Mai Nguyen, Bastien Arnal, Shaozhen Song, Zhihong Huang, Ruikang Wang, Matthew O'Donnell, Biomedical Optics Express (IF 3.49), 2014, 140652
- Quantitative elasticity measurement of urinary bladder wall using laser-induced surface acoustic waves, Chunhui Li, Guangying Guan, Fan Zhang, Ruikang K. Wang and Zhihong Huang, Ghulam Nabi, Biomedical Optics Express (IF 3.49), 2014, 221679
- Laser induced surface acoustic wave combined with phase sensitive optical coherence tomography for superficial tissue characterization: a solution for practical application, Chunhui Li, Guangying Guan, Fan Zhang, Ghulam Nabi, Ruikang K. Wang and Zhihong Huang, Biomedical Optics Express (IF 3.49), Vol. 5, Issue 5, pp. 1403-1418 (2014).
- Visualizing ultrasonically induced shear wave propagation using phase-sensitive optical coherence tomography for dynamic elastography, Thu-Mai Nguyen, Shaozhen Song, Bastien Arnal, Zhihong Huang, Matthew O’Donnell, and Ruikang K. Wang, Optics Letters (IF 3.38), Vol. 39, Issue 4, pp. 838-841 (2014).
- Shear wave pulse compression for dynamic elastography using phase-sensitive optical coherence tomography, Thu-Mai Nguyen, Shaozhen Song, Bastien Arnal, Emily Y Wong, Zhihong Huang, Ruikang K Wang, Matthew O'Donnell, Journal of Biomedical Optics (IF 2.88), 01/2014; 19(1):16013.
- Resonance Tracking and Vibration Stabilization for High power Ultrasonic Transducers Ultrasonics, Yang Kuang, Sandy Cochran, Zhihong Huang, Ultrasonics (IF 2.03), Volume 54, Issue 1, January 2014, pp. 187-194.
- Tracking mechanical wave propagation within tissue using phase-sensitive optical coherence tomography: motion artifact and its compensation, Song, S., Huang, Z. & Wang, R. K., Dec 2013, Journal of Biomedical Optics (IF 2.88). 18, 12, 121505
- Shear modulus imaging by direct visualization of propagating shear waves with phase-sensitive optical coherence tomography, Song, S., Huang, Z., Nguyen, T-M, Wong, E. Y., Arnal, B., O'Donnell, M. & Wang, R. K., Dec 2013 In : Journal of Biomedical Optics (IF 2.88). 18, 12, 121509
- Frequency dependence of laser ultrasonic SAW phase velocities measurements, Li, C., Song, S., Guan, G., Huang, Z., Wang, R. K. & Huang, Z. 1-Jan-2013 In: Ultrasonics.53 (IF 2.03), 1, p. 191-195.5 p.
- Tissue mimicking materials for the detection of prostate cancer using shear wave elastography: A validation study, Cao, R., Huang, Z., Varghese, T. & Nabi, G. 2013 In: Medical Physics (IF 3.15). 40, 2, p. 022903.
- Ultrasound beam distortion and pressure reduction in transcostal focused ultrasound surgery, Jing Gao, Sandy Cochran, Zhihong Huang, Applied Acoustics, Volume 76, February 2014, Pages 337–345.
- Quantitative evaluation of degenerated tendon model using combined optical coherence elastography and acoustic radiation force method, Guangying Guan, Chunhui Li, Yuting Ling, Yang Ying, Jan B. Vorstius, Robert P. Keatch, Ruikang K. Wang and Zhihong Huang, Journal of Biomedical Optics (IF 2.88),Nov 2013, Vol 18, 111417.
- A comparison of laser ultrasound measurements and finite element simulations for evaluating the elastic properties of tissue mimicking phantoms, Li, C., Li, S., Guan, G., Wei, C., Huang, Z. & Wang, R. K.1-Jun-2012, Optics and Laser Technology.(IF 1.64), 44, 4, p. 866-871.6 p.
- Noncontact all-optical measurement of corneal elasticity, Li, C., Guan, G., Huang, Z., Johnstone, M. & Wang, R. K. 15-May-2012 In : Optics Letters (IF 3.39).37, 10, p. 1625-1627.3 p.
- Determining elastic properties of skin by measuring surface waves from an impulse mechanical stimulus using phase-sensitive optical coherence tomography, Li, C., Guan, G., Reif, R., Wang, R. K. & Huang, Z.7-May-2012 In: Journal of the Royal Society Interface (IF 4.91).9, 70, p. 831-841.11 p.
- Diagnostic accuracy of transrectal elastosonography (TRES) imaging for the diagnosis of prostate cancer: A systematic review and meta-analysis, Aboumarzouk, O. M., Ogston, S., Huang, Z., Evans, A., Melzer, A., Stolzenberg, J-U. & Nabi, BJU International (IF 3.13), Volume 110, Issue 10, pages 1414–1423, November 2012.
- Simultaneous measurement of thermophysical properties of tissue-mimicking phantoms for high intensity focused ultrasound (HIFU) exposures, Gao, J., You, J., Huang, Z., Cochran, S. & Corner, G.1-Mar-2012, In : International Journal of Thermophysics. 33, 3, p. 495-504.10 p.
- Quantitative elastography provided by surface acoustic waves measured by phase-sensitive optical coherence tomography, Li, C., Guan, G., Cheng, X., Huang, Z. & Wang, R. K. 15-Feb-2012In : Optics Letters (IF 3.39).37, 4, p. 722-724.3 p.
- Evaluating elastic properties of heterogeneous soft tissue by surface acoustic waves detected by phase-sensitive optical coherence tomography, Li, C. , Guan, G. , Li, S. , Huang, Z. & Wang, R. K. 2012In : Journal of Biomedical Optics (IF 2.88).17, 5, p. -.10 p., art. no. 057002
- Depth profiling of photothermal compound concentrations using phase sensitive optical coherence tomography, Guan, G. , Reif, R. , Huang, Z. & Wang, R. K. Dec-2011In : Journal of Biomedical Optics (IF 2.88).16, 12, 9 p., art. no. ARTN 126003
- Elastic properties of soft tissue-mimicking phantoms assessed by combined use of laser ultrasonics and low coherence interferometry, Li, C., Huang, Z. & Wang, R. K. 23-May-2011, Optics Express (IF 3.55).19, 11, p. 10153-10163.11 p.
- Skin Thermal Effect by FE Simulation and Experiment of Laser Ultrasonics, Li, C., Li, S. , Huang, Z. 2010 In: ADVANCES IN EXPERIMENTAL MECHANICS VII. Mines, R. A. W. & DulieuBarton, J. M. (eds.). STAFA-ZURICH: Trans Tech Publications LTD, p. 281-286.6 p. (Applied Mechanics and Materials).