Dr Rastko Sknepnek
Lecturer in Physics and Dundee Fellow
- Tel: 01382 385699
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dr Rastko Sknepnek Centre of Translational & Interdisciplinary Research (room 2.28) University of Dundee Dundee DD1 4HE GB Scotland UK
Dr Rastko Sknepnek obtained his PhD in physics under supervision of Prof Thomas Vojta at the University of Missouri – Rolla, USA in 2004.
From 2004 to 2006 he was a Postdoctoral Fellow at the McMaster University (Canada) in the group of Prof A. John Berlinsky and Catherine Kallin. In 2006 he moved to the Iowa State University/DOE Ames Laboratory (USA) to do another Postdoc with Prof Joerg Schmalian and Prof Monica Lamm.
In 2009 he joined group of Prof Monica Olvera de la Cruz at Northwestern University (USA) as a Research Associate. In 2012 Dr Sknepnek was awarded inaugural Distinguished University Postdoctoral Fellowship in the Soft Matter Program at Syracuse University (USA). In September 2013 he joined University of Dundee as Lecturer in Physics and Dundee Fellow.
Please click here to visit Dr Sknepnek's research webpage.
- Pattern formation in complex geometries
- Physics of biological and artificial membranes
- Physics of active systems
- Guided assembly of nanocomposite materials
- Scientific code development
Selected Recent Publications
- M. Bowick and R. Sknepnek,Pathways to faceting of vesicle, Soft Matter 9, 8088 (2013). invited contribution to a themed issue
- C. M. Funkhouser, R. Sknepnek, T. Shimi, A.E. Goldman, R.D. Goldman, M. Olvera de la Cruz, A Mechanical Model of Blebbing in Nuclear Lamina Meshworks, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 110, 3248 (2013).
- Z. Yao, R. Sknepnek, C. K. Thomas, M. Olvera de la Cruz, Shapes of pored membranes, Soft Matter 8, 11613 (2012). cover page article
- R. Sknepnek and M. Olvera de la Cruz, Nonlinear elastic model for faceting of vesicles with soft grain boundaries, Phys. Rev. E 85, 050501(R) (2012).
- T. Li, R. Sknepnek, R. Macfarlane, C. Mirkin, M. Olvera de la Cruz, Modelling of DNA guided crystallization of DNA-coated gold nanoparticles, Nano Letters 12, 2509 (2012).
- R. Sknepnek, G. Vernizzi, M. Olvera de la Cruz, Buckling of multicomponent elastic shells with line tension, Soft Matter 8, 636 (2012). cover page article
- C. Leung, L.C. Palmer, B. Qiao, S. Kewalramani, R. Sknepnek, C. Newcomb, M. Greenfield, G. Vernizzi, S. Stupp, M. Bedzyk, M. Olvera de la Cruz, Molecular Crystallization Controlled by pH Regulates Mesoscopic Membrane Morphology, ACS Nano 6, 10901 (2012).
- R. Sknepnek, G. Vernizzi, M. Olvera de la Cruz, Shape change of nano-containers via a reversible ionic buckling, Phys. Rev. Lett. 106, 215504 (2011).
- G. Vernizzi, R. Sknepnek, M. Olvera de la Cruz, Platonic and Archimedean geometries in multi-component elastic membranes, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 108, 4292 (2011).
- R. Sknepnek, J. A. Anderson, M. H. Lamm, J. Schmalian, and A. Travesset, Nanoparticle Ordering via Functionalized Block Copolymers in Solution, ACS Nano 2, 1259 (2008).