Prof Peter Davies
- Tel: 01382 384346
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Prof Peter Davies Division of Civil Engineering Fulton Building, H13 University of Dundee Nethergate Dundee DD1 4HN
Peter Davies studied at the University of Newcastle upon Tyne, graduating with First Class Honours in Physics and Mathematics (1966), DipEd (1967) and PhD (1971). He was awarded a 2-year Postdoctoral Fellowship by the Royal Society of London (tenable 1971-73 at the University of Stockholm, Sweden) and then spent 7 years as an RA at the University of Newcastle upon Tyne. In 1980 he moved to a Lectureship at Dundee and was awarded a Personal Chair in Fluid Dynamics in 1995, the same year that he was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society of Edinburgh. He was elected a Foreign Member of the Norwegian Academy of Science & Letters in 2009 and was awarded the Lord Kelvin Medal of the Royal Society of Edinburgh in 2013. Since 2008 he has served as Director of The National Telford Institute. His main research areas lie in environmental, geophysical and physical fluid dynamics.
- BSc (Hons) Physics and Mathematics, University of Newcastle upon Tyne, 1966
- DipEd, 1967
- PhD, 1971
- Buoyancy-driven flows
- Rotating flows
- Turbulent mixing in stratified flows
- Wastewater disposal in estuarine and coastal waters
- Internal waves
- Turbulent jets and plumes
- Cuthbertson, A J S, Lundberg, P, Davies, P A & Laanearu, J (2013) Gravity currents in rotating, wedge-shaped adverse channels. Environmental Fluid Mechanics (published online)
- Cuthbertson, A J S, Laanearu, J, Wåhlin, A K & Davies, P A (2011). Dynamics of Oceans & Atmospheres, 52, 386-409.
- Munro, R J, Foster, M R & Davies, P A (2010) Instabilities in the spin-up of a rotating, stratified fluid. Physics of Fluids, 22, 054108.
- Cuthbertson, A J S, Dong, P & Davies, P A (2010) Non-equilibrium flocculation characteristics of fine-grained sediments in grid-generated turbulent flow. Coastal Engineering, 57, 447-460.
- Fructus, D, Carr, M, Grue, J, Jensen, A & Davies, P A (2009) Shear induced breaking of large internal solitary waves. J. Fluid Mech., 620, 1-29.
- Carr, M, Fructus, D, Grue, J, Jansen, A & Davies, P A (2008) Convectively-induced shear instability in large amplitude internal solitary waves. Physics of Fluids, 20, 126601.
- Koshel, K V, Sokolovskiy, M A & Davies, P A (2008) Chaotic advection and nonlinear resonance in an oceanic flow above submerged obstacle. Fluid Dynamics Res., 40, 695-736.
- Cuthbertson, A J S, Apsley, D D, Davies, P A, Lipari, G & Stansby, P K (2008) Deposition from particle-laden, plane, turbulent, buoyant jets. ASCE J. Hydraulic Engng , 134, 8, 1110-1122.
- Cuthbertson, A J S & Davies, P A (2008) Deposition from particle-laden, round, turbulent, horizontal buoyant jets in stationary and co-flowing receiving fluids. ASCE J. Hydraulic Engng, 134, 4, 390-402.
- Carr, M, Davies, P A & Shivaram, P (2008) Experimental evidence of internal solitary wave-induced global instability in shallow water benthic boundary layers. Physics of Fluids 20, 066603.