REF 2014: Key Facts
The Research Excellence Framework 2014 has seen research assessed for quality and impact. The results of the REF will be used by the funding bodies, who between them allocate about £2 billion per year of research funding to UK universities, based on the quality and volume of each university’s research.
Summary of the Assessment
- Civil Engineering was ranked top in Scotland and third in the UK.
- General Engineering was ranked top in Scotland and seventh in the UK.
- Mathematics was ranked top in Scotland and eighth in the UK .
- Computing is ranked 3rd in Scotland and 22nd in the UK out of 89 institutions.
- Computing is ranked 18th in the UK for the proportion of its research that was rated 4*, meaning 'world-leading'.
- More than 90% of the School’s research outputs, including papers published in academic journals, were graded as either three or four star, meaning ‘quality that is world-leading or internationally excellent in terms of originality, significance and rigour.‘
- The School’s impact on the world outside of academia – including the development of space technology, systems to help disabled people, the development of new mathematical models to improve cancer treatment and engineering approaches to aid the design of complex road and train tunnels – was considered substantial, with more than half rated as world leading.
- 41% of Civil Engineering research was graded four star, meaning 'world leading'.
- 38% of General Engineering research was graded four star, meaning 'world leading'.
- 27% of Mathematics research was graded four star, meaning 'world leading'.
- 22% of Computing's research outputs, including papers published in academic journals, were graded 4*, meaning 'quality that is world-leading in terms of originality, significance and rigour'.
You can learn more about how our researchers have created a social and economic impact with their work in the following case studies:
- Innovation in Complex Transportation Tunnel Systems
- Space Technology
- Using Mathematical Modelling to Improve Cancer Treatment