Ranked 2nd in Scotland and tenth in the UK (The Times & Sunday Times Good University Guide 2016)
Our aim is to provide students with a challenging and enriching experience that will enable them to develop their mathematics skills. As well as offering degrees in Mathematics and Mathematical Biology, we offer a wide range of Joint Honours Degrees, where Mathematics can be combined with a variety of other subjects, for example, Accountancy, Applied Computing, Economics, English and Physics. Computing power is used extensively in modern mathematics.
Students have access to a dedicated computer pool 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Students use computers to assist their studies at all levels, using specialist mathematics software, writing up projects and obtaining information from the internet. Our international team of staff are committed to providing teaching of the highest quality. We believe that undergraduates are best served by studying in a Division that is active in research to the highest level, and we are fortunate in having an excellent international reputation for our research work. This means that we are able to offer you lively and modern programmes of study centred on the application of mathematics, presented in a stimulating environment by experts in the field.
Our courses, at all levels, are taught by those who have great enthusiasm for their subject, a dedication to it, and an appreciation of the needs of students. We are a relatively small Division and are able to oper
ate with an excellent staff/student ratio. One advantage of this is that we can get to know each student personally, and so can offer a friendly and supportive learning experience. In addition, our Student-Staff Committee meets regularly to discuss matters of importance to our students.
Research top in Scotland and third in UK
Our research is top in Scotland, and eighth in the UK, according to the Research Excellence Framework 2014. We have active research groups in Mathematical Biology, Numerical Analysis and Scientific Computing, Magnetohydrodynamics and Applied Analysis.
Rated First in Scotland
- Mathematics at the University of Dundee was ranked second in Scotland, and sixth in the UK by The Times & Sunday Times Good University Guide 2016.
- Mathematics at the University of Dundee was rated first in Scotland, and third in the UK, by the National Student Survey 2014.
- We offer a dynamic and modern programme of study at both undergraduate and postgraduate level.
- We have active research groups in Mathematical Biology, Numerical Analysis and Scientific Computing, Magnetohydrodynamics and Applied Analysis.
- Our graduate prospects were rated second in the UK in the Complete University Guide 2014 league tables.
95% of graduates are in work or further study after six months
- Mathematics BSc (Hons)
- Mathematics & BSc (Hons)
- Mathematics & BSc (Hons)
- Mathematics & Physics BSc (Hons)
- Mathematical Biology MSc
- Mathematics PGDip
- Secondary Education PGDE
- Applied Mathematics MSc
- Mathematics for the Financial Sector MSc