There are many different careers available to those with public engagement experience and excellent communication skills. A list of some of the potential careers in related fields are shown below:
- Teaching in primary and secondary schools – requires excellent communication skills. Knowledge of school lessons and the Curriculum for Excellence is an advantage.
- Project and event management in academia, public sector or industry.
- Policy creation and engaging with government and non-government organisations.
- Journalism, writing lay persons abstracts or press releases for charities and research centres.
- Communication positions in Science and Discovery Centres – hands–on, delivery and planning of projects.
- Administration roles in academia – alumni development, student admissions, recruitment and careers, outreach and community learning positions.
- Self-employment as a professional science communicator.
A list of regional and national resources that you might find useful when considering a career in these fields.
- Browse posts or sign up for regular updates from the excellent PSCI-COM mailing list run by JISC.
- Follow Edinburgh Beltane on Twitter
- Search and sign up for updates at jobs.ac.uk. We suggest you choose ‘Managerial and Professional’ jobs in the ‘Type of Role’ section.
Professional Development for Public Engagement Professionals
At the beginning of the 2018-19 academic year, the National Coordinating Centre for Public Engagement will be launching a new network for public engagement professionals (PEPs) across the UK. This national network aims to mobilise the collective experience and skills of PEPs and support their career development. It will provide access to the latest thinking and expertise about engagement policy and practice, offer opportunities for CPD and training, support members to share solutions and problems, and establish peer support mechanisms. Between June and September, we're hosting a number of free 'taster' events for prospective members.
For more information on the Public Engagement Professional network visit the NCCPE website.