We provide a dynamic, interdisciplinary environment in which ideas are generated, communicated and realised, and we are constantly developing new research technologies to support our work as well as that of international researchers. We are always keen to collaborate with and train creative minds from across the world.
Dundee ranks in the top 5 Scottish universities in various disciplines. Research assessment in terms of citations per paper - the most commonly used general measure of quality and impact - rates Biological Sciences at Dundee Number 1 in the UK and Number 9 in the world. This also places Dundee at the top of the league of Universities outside the United States.
We are the top University in the UK for research, citations and industry income in the Times Higher Education Young University Rankings 2017.
The 2017 Nature Index puts us No 1 in the UK at influencing innovation. We're the only UK University in the Top 50 globally. The Index measures the influence of our research on third party patents, reflecting the impact of our research on industry and the economy.
We are rated among the world’s best universities in terms of impact of scientific research, being placed 28th in the 2017 CWTS Leiden Rankings.
The University is among Europe's Most Innovative Universities who are doing the most to advance science, invent new technologies, and help drive the global economy. In the ranking, we are top in Scotland, 5th in the UK and 21st across the whole of Europe.
Over 30% of our total income is made up of research grants and contracts income with 44% of our staff are being research only (source: Heidi).
You can read more about The University of Dundee Rankings here.
We have produced an online, video-based training resource -
Responsible and Ethical Practice in Research and Publication
- designed to promote researcher awareness and engagement with research integrity issues. The resource incorporates videos, quizzes and case studies. For more information, or enquire about licensing the material, visit: Research Integrity Online Modules
Our Research Staff
Among our current staff are:
- Knights and Dames
- 4 Commanders of the Order of the British Empire (CBE)
- 10 Officers of the Order of the British Empire (OBE)
- Regius Professor in Life Sciences
- 17 Fellows of the Academy of Medical Sciences (FMedSci)
- 13 Fellows of the Royal Society (FRS)
- 46 Fellows of the Royal Society of Edinburgh (FRSE)
- 31 Fellows of the Royal Society of Arts (FRSA)